• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few questions about a new system I am going to build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

Hello to all of you,

I've had the same system that is in my signature for the past 4 years, it severed me well for what I used it for. About a week ago I started to get the Blue Screen of death, I would get it about twice a day and having Win7 for 6 years I never got one (BSOD) since I had XP Pro

I will most likely be asking many questions as I start to build my new system. I know enough to get by but every once in a while I don't know how to do something or understand why I might need it. For an example on my current system when I built it or a few times when I had to reinstall win7. One thing I never did was install all the software goodies for the MB, I made sure I installed the drives but the different utilities that Asus offers on the DVD that came with the MB. I won't change my signature until my new build is done but to show you what hardware I bought for the new system I will list it in this post in case someone needs to know everything that will be in my system.

I will list my new hardware then I'll ask my question. Also I am sure there will be someone that questions my choice of hardware and offer advice of what I should have bought. As much as I appreciate everyone's opinion, I made the purchase and this is what I have to work with.

Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) (BX80646I74790K)

ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO DDR3 2800 LGA 1150 Motherboard socket for 4th Generation

EVGA GeForce GT 740 4GB GDDR5 Dual DVI mHDMI Graphics Cards 04G-P4-3748-KR

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

3 of Seagate 2TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive

1 of Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive

My 1st question is when I install my system should I install all the Asus software that lets you overclock and change settings etc. I really don't want or need to overclock I just want a good system for what I use it for, I'm not a gamer I just use my system for surfing the net and general things. I guess the one thing I do use is Adobe products, I own the Adobe Production Premium suite. I use that for doing work in Photoshop and slowly learning the other software that is in the suite.

The reason I included everything I did about my new parts is so everyone will know what my system is and that might help them answer my questions.

I will say one thing about this forum, although I chose not to overclock some of you might be wondering then why are you in a forum for people that are all about overclocking ? The reason I come here to get answers to my computer questions is because you guys and gals know a lot about computers and have always given me great answers to my questions.

Like I said above I make sure to install the drivers for my motherboard but wonder if the other software that they send on the DVD is something I should be installing as well?

This will be the first of many questions I will post during this newest build. I have always appreciated your help and advice.

Thanks
Ron

Last edited:
I always just install the most recent drivers (from the manufacturer's website, Asus in your case), and only install apps if I think I might use them. For instance, my ASRock 970 Extreme3 came with Magix Music Maker. I installed that, but not any of the tweaking utilities, or anything like that.

Short answer is: If you think you will use it, go ahead. If not, it won't hurt anything to leave it out (so long as you install the drivers).

I always just install the most recent drivers (from the manufacturer's website, Asus in your case), and only install apps if I think I might use them. For instance, my ASRock 970 Extreme3 came with Magix Music Maker. I installed that, but not any of the tweaking utilities, or anything like that.

Short answer is: If you think you will use it, go ahead. If not, it won't hurt anything to leave it out (so long as you install the drivers).

Thanks for your reply, That is how I do it most times, I make sure I install the drivers for Lan,on board audio etc. I don't install the tweaking utilites. I just wanted to ask in case I wasn't doing what I should be doing.

Thanks again

Hopefully we keep the questions in this thread. :p

I only install the things I need as well. Keeps things 'clean'.

Back