• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What happens if you try overclocking a locked CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ironsheik

I just got my Tbird 1133 (266mhz version) with an Abit KT7A-266fsb board, 133RAM and a basic fan setup. I want to mess around a bit with overclocking but am not sure if the chip is locked or not. It generally runs at 8.5 x 140 (1190) @1.81v stable but as soon as I try to go any higher on the multiplier or FSB, it won't boot and I have to clear the BIOS. That's without any other optimization settings either. Is it because the chip is locked? At 1190, it runs no hotter than 47 deg C and idle at 40 deg. And lastly, how much should I increase the voltage if I want to try 1260? My next purchase is a better fan setup so I won't be playing too much yet. Thanks for the help.

JC

i could be wrong-but i think that the highest the FDB will go is 133 if the chipo is locked , if your running at 140 FSB then i believe the chip is unlocked. (90% sure) it is a socket it take it - so just look on the chip, look efor the lile gold lines labeled L! and if they are broke its locked and you have to connect then, if they are solid then shes unlocked. If you crash at any higher than 140 they to go down a notch with the FSB and up the mulitiplier, if that doesnt work, try the 140 again and ust up the voltage-be careful only up the voltage in the smalles inciments at a time-like 1.80 to 1.85 DONT jump to like 2.0 from 1.8 itll cook !!!

If you have set up the board to run at 133 mhz, and it runs ok...then the processor is unlocked. I have read where all of the new, 266 cpu's are now coming unlocked, but not certain of this. The original processors came locked mainly because the boards at the time were limited to 100 mhz fsb. Now that the new boards are designed to run at 133 mhz (and above, unoffically) the newer processors are coming with the bridges unlocked. The early processors were designed with the ability to run at 133 mhz and above, but the board technology wasn't available yet.

Read at a couple of these unlocking web sites, to view the bridges that were laser cut to prevent ( heh heh) overclocking above 100 mhz fsb..

(NOTE: some of these links may be unusuable when pasted into this...and get wrapped...so, to get to the site, copy and paste the url to your browsers address window.)

.html

l

ring_the_processor_the_tiny_copper_bridges_of_tbird_and_duron

Back