• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home Mail Server HOWTO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moz_21

Windows 2003 Enterprise Server Eval.
POP3 Service installed.
SMTP service installed.
I am able to use it internally but cannot get it working on a remote computer (someone connecting from dialup)

In Outlook Express, POP3 and SMTP servers are set to 2k3server (my server's name). Works on local computers. How do I get it to work remotely? I have DNS setup: probegt.servebeer.com

So would the remote clients have both POP3 and SMTP set to probegt.servebeer.com ?

I get send and receive email just fine from other accounts. What I can't do is give someone [email protected] and let them receive mail.
Basically, what would my POP3 and SMTP settings be for that remote user?

:bump:

how about a guide or something? and on my DNS registration, whats an MX record?

Is the server behind a router or something? If so you will need to forard the ports for mail to the server.

Could I put it as my domain name? ( probegt.servebeer.com)?

The mx record tells what the mail server is for a domain. So if you mail [email protected], and there is an mx record, then the mail really goes to the ip in the mx record. You can still send mail to user@hostname or user@ip though. You don't look like you have a real domain you control anyways, so you wouldn't be able to set the mx record.

Do I need a local DNS server or anything? My ISP says that as long as I do not violate the EULA they do not disallow personal servers.

I really need more help with the MX record, like an explicit definition. I found one that says
(example): 123.456.789.10 A mydns.freedns.com
and I am really confused now.

I want to be able to use the mail internally and externally.

Back