• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WOW....just plain wow!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AS3

Disabled
Just thought i'd share some info for you people interested in knowing the future of processors:

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6073040.html

:D 1 teraflop processors now thats funny.

The most powerful computer is the Earth Simulator, created by Japanese computing giant NEC as part of an initiative sponsored by Japan's Science and Technology Agency (now called the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology). The supercomputer can manage 35 trillion operations per second.

I'd say that the Earth Simulator has about 5120 processors in all.

So.... if what IBM/Sony are reporting is true then you'd just need to buy 35 ps3's to match the superiority of earth's current greatest computer........ -_-'

/quote/
That is a wow, 100 times faster than my current CPU.... wow.
/quote/

i agree totally. And one thing that this news helped me to realize was a feeling that i always had, ever since i was 10 (which was when i really started to get into computers)
Was that technology is evolving so fast that we CANNOT keep up with it it is literally impossible because all over the globe people keep improving apon it and since there is over 6 billion people in the world then consider the percentage using computers then consider the percentage improving upon technology = ALOT
even though some of us might go on tech news sites everday and spend countless hours reading up on the latest (like me :p) STILL there are things we are unaware of. :( It makes me feel so...... "not in control" ..lol. But it's reality.

"PlayStation 3 chip nears completion" lol i dont think so some how
well first why would something that powerful go in a playstation secondly and most important, the main reason people buy game consoles is there cheep easy to use how much would that chip cost? wouldnt it be cheeper to just buy a pc? and maybe have better grapics?

/quote/
"PlayStation 3 chip nears completion" lol i dont think so some how
well first why would something that powerful go in a playstation secondly and most important, the main reason people buy game consoles is there cheep easy to use how much would that chip cost? wouldnt it be cheeper to just buy a pc? and maybe have better grapics?
/quote/
DUDE< Learn english> lol, jk, you just need to 'phrase' your sentences more clearly....at least i think so...

anyways...yea, i too thought this article was bogus but i mean cmon' it's coming from "GameSpot" now i don't know if you ppl know but gamespot is a pretty reliable source of info for videogame related subjects.
THEN AGAIN, gamespot might have just gotten their numbers mixed up..................
i dunno....any other coments?

sorry boys and girls but this processor if it is within 10x of what gamespot is prediciting its not endiung up in a ps4 let alone a ps3. why you ask. would you or your parents shell out $2000 for a video game system. Nope didn't think so.

When the next playstation comes out its not going to be so costly as you think. Remember, when Ken Kutaragi introduced his "3d synthesizer" (playstation) it was the most powerful realtime 3d rendering chipset at the time. It outpeformed top of the notch SGI systems in what it could do in realtime. The technology was expensive before it was implemented into the ps, but only cost 300 or 400 bucks when it came out. When they're ready to release the ps3, it should follow in the first's footsteps.

sigh.......
I just dream of the day i will own a teraflop cpu.

**wakes up next morning
**look's in the computer paper
oh, look what ncix is selling a 1.5teraflop SCYTHER from AMD
-400$ HAH, WHAT A RIPOFF!!!
I'd rather get the LITEIN 1.2tera and overclock to 1.8 for half the price

**wake's up again.....woah....and it all seemed so real

LOL< I WISH

Last I heard, the Cell design wasn't going to be readily available in enough quantity and cheap enough for use in a Playstation 3 before 2007. Most of the performance metrics you see reported for Cell are probably referring to the maximum possible for a Cell system. That's not necessarily what would go into a PS3 (or 4, or 5).

/quote/
Last I heard, the Cell design wasn't going to be readily available in enough quantity and cheap enough for use in a Playstation 3 before 2007. Most of the performance metrics you see reported for Cell are probably referring to the maximum possible for a Cell system. That's not necessarily what would go into a PS3 (or 4, or 5).
/quote/

o no my friend, my beliefs are quite the opposite i believe the future (defined by time not yet in focus/ passed) is closer than you think ;)

(im the next albert einstein) sigh.......i just wished he had really failed math......like i did this summer.....LOL

Get your Playstation 3 now for the low introductory price of $99999999.99!
:lol:

Umm... I dont think it is spectacular as it sounds... I mean the GF4 Ti 4600 does 1.23 trillion opperations per second - that is surely a teraflop? it just happens to be a graphics processor, they are streamlined to process graphics, they are not a general multi purpose CPU which you have in your rig at home... It sounds impressive and it probably is good, but putting it like that, a R9800 pro is probably better in terms of raw FLOPS...

Don't count on the PS3 being as fast as Sony promised. Sony promised the PS2 to be so incredibly powerful, yet its games are slightly better (and for the most part, worse) looking than the best Dreamcast games. Dreamcast? You know, the console that came out one year before PS2 and cost half the price? Geforce2 Ultra at the same resolutions'd match a PS2. If SONY's PS3 is as powerful as they say it is, then i'll set my shoes on fire. I will determine wether or not i'll do so while wearing them at a later time.

Chowdy said:
Don't count on the PS3 being as fast as Sony promised. Sony promised the PS2 to be so incredibly powerful, yet its games are slightly better (and for the most part, worse) looking than the best Dreamcast games. Dreamcast? You know, the console that came out one year before PS2 and cost half the price? Geforce2 Ultra at the same resolutions'd match a PS2. If SONY's PS3 is as powerful as they say it is, then i'll set my shoes on fire. I will determine wether or not i'll do so while wearing them at a later time.

Sure, if you take the playstations ugliest first gen games and compare them to dreamcast's best looking last generation games. You're fooling yourself if you can't see the dreamcasts inferiorities compared to sony's box. The dreamcast is great, but facts are facts. Sony has hardware problems with aa but the developers have been dealing with that in their software. Try playing silent hill 3. IMHO its one of the best looking games I've ever seen on any platform. That includes PC. Still has a few jaggies though.

Wait... so you're trying to tell me that developers fixed PS2's small VRAM short-comings, lack of AA in hardware, and damn difficult programming due to trippy architecture now? Wow! Everyone, record that time-- 3 years! Give me a break.

So you're saying that every game up until now for the ps2 looks like crap because of the hardware's few shortcomings and you think it took 3 years for game dev's to deal with it? Give ME a break.

Back