• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving Existing Setup to RAID 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PAWO

Hey, I need some help here, I have a current Windows XP setup running on a 30 gig seagate baracuda, and I would like to put it into RAID....problem is, I have a Promise FastTrak100 TX2, and a second identical 30 gig baracuda, but how would I go about successfully putting it into RAID 1 mirroring, without losing my setup? I tried connecting both drives to the RAID controller, mirroring the original boot drive to the new one, then restarting, but XP simply does an endless cycle of rebooting, and the repair console doesn't seem to have an option to restore windows to the raid partition without losing all the data....any help???

Sorry... it's not going to happen. You have to install the raid driver with the windows install, or it won't boot from raid.

It would be worth a shot to do this: Make a drive image to CD's or another hard drive. Put the two drives in raid, and then put this image onto the raid array. The resulting setup will NOT boot. Reinstall windows XP over that, without formatting, but installing the raid driver in the process. Most likely, you will have to reinstall most of your programs, but all your data should still be there.

If all else fails, backup your data and reformat. Or use norton ghost and extract the files from the image using Norton Ghost Explorer.

I was afraid of that, I have so much customized stuff on here, it would take forever and a day to re-install/configure it all.

Last edited:
Back