• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running RAID 0 on AHCI. How?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schlathersr

I have 3 NVME drives. The first has Windows 10 installed. Drives 2 and 3 are setup in RAID 0.

I changed my BIOS to RAID mode, created my array, then did a Win 10 install on drive 1. Everything was working as it should be.

I updated my BIOS a few weeks later and saw that my motherboard defaulted back to AHCI. I switched it back to RAID and my RAID arrays I had setup previously were gone. I switched it back to AHCI and boot into Windows to see the damage. Oddly enough, my NVME RAID is still set up in Windows like I had it before the update, and it is working fine.

Why is this happening? Shouldn't my RAID have gone away when switching back to AHCI? I'm glad it's working, but am very confused.

Very interesting situation, although not relevant to any of my systems I was curious and had to google. This Wikipedia article sheds some light on the issue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface

I found this tidbit from that article you linked very interesting: "Intel recommends choosing RAID mode on their motherboards (which also enables AHCI) rather than AHCI/SATA mode for maximum flexibility." Never heard that one before.

I found this tidbit from that article you linked very interesting: "Intel recommends choosing RAID mode on their motherboards (which also enables AHCI) rather than AHCI/SATA mode for maximum flexibility." Never heard that one before.

I think they were saying that back in X48 days or earlier iirc. No one ever did of course because the raid screen took that extra second and a half :D

I think they were saying that back in X48 days or earlier iirc. No one ever did of course because the raid screen took that extra second and a half :D
Earlier than that, and not just Intel.
When SSD's first came out, we were running raid mode for ' fake ACHI' all the way back to socket A.
Works on 754 and 939 also. ;)

Back