• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Creation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
Hey guys, I got sick of this maze3 in my puter. so I decided to make a simple block, hoping to outperform it by only a little if any. I just want something nice in there.

This is my first block with an o-ring and I would have to say the O-ring groove is successful! Im leaktesting it right now and all is well:)

the channels are 1/8" and fins are 1/16" in a 7/8" wide total size. The standard 1/2" barbs. There is only one other block with the same material used for the top, and both were made by me. Ill keep that on the DL though:) and if you know, please keep it to yourself.

First 4 pics are the base being milled. The last 3 are the completed work.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Enjoy:)

Jon

Thanx guys, The top wasnt strong enough, It bowed a little and leaked. Im gonna either make a copper top or put 4 more screws in it or make a new top and seal it with silicone... I gotta decide.

Jon

Looks like it'll perform well, Jon. *EDIT* I didn't thoroughly read the first post. sorry.

I sure hope so, but not with the leaking O-ring. I was looking for my silicone to just fill in the groove and seal it up, I couldnt find that so I turned to a more permant solution:D Marine GOOP:p

Itll never come off!

Yeah, Its delrin.(maybe thats what you edited out) 1/4" stuff flexes too much for the pressure the O-ring puts on it.

What size groove do you use for your 1/8"(.139") O-rings?

Jon

JFettig said:
Yeah, Its delrin.(maybe thats what you edited out) 1/4" stuff flexes too much for the pressure the O-ring puts on it.

Use at least 3/8" thickness.

It might also help, even though it is more expensive to do so, to put the O-ring groove into the copper. This gives more material/rigidity to the top plate.

You can also increase the number of clamping screws from 4 to 8, and this will decrease the "span" over which the top can flex.

Thats the plan for next time cathar:) I dont think Ill mess with O-rings and plastic.

The reason I didnt put it in copper this time is because If I messed it up, I would be screwed out of it. And It was the first time making diagonals. I was also using a 1/8" end mill to cut a .16" wide groove. It probably took the same amount of time to cut that one in delrin as just a 1/8" groove in copper.

When this thing is converted to cnc, Ill definately be doing that. plus Ill be able to more than double my feedrates with a higher speed spindle.

Jon

Back