• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

didn't know where to put this gaming/linux?? figured gaming since it mainly has to do with it. anyone know good places to download game ports like quake/UT ect....?? or do u just have to buy them like everything else?? hehe, just wondering..

Games that support Linux still need to be purchased. The Linux versions of both the original UT and UT2K3 are on the retail windows CDs. So if you have them you have the Linux version. Quake 3 I think has an actual seperate version for Linux. Neverwinter Nights runs natively in Linux also. These games have special linux install routines of course, you'll have to hunt around the web for instructions on how to do it properly. Older Id games which are now open source (quake 2 and before) I'm sure have Linux versions as well, those should be able to be found free to download. Just look around, commercial games that have true linux versions are very rare.

Using WINE as SniperXX suggested is what you need to do if the game does not have a true linux version. Just remember you'll lose some performance over a true port when using WINE. But hell, its much better than nothing :)

If you are looking for ports try sourceforge.net and search for game or games. You should be able to find things like Freecraft, a warcraft/starcraft clone/port, or the sources to Doom, Duke3D, Quake I & II among others.

If you are looking at retail games, you might be able to find a game ported to Linux by the now defunct Loki Games www.lokigames.com.
Some places you might be able to get those ported games would be:
www.linuxgames.com
www.linux-games.com
www.tuxgames.com
www.ebay.com

Plus for more info, here's a google link:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Linux+games

Forget about running games with Wine, it is very difficult, I have yet to get a single game to run that way.

Too Smart said:
Forget about running games with Wine, it is very difficult, I have yet to get a single game to run that way.

Some games can only be run w/ WINE. If a game hasn't been ported, or by some coding voodoo made to run on Linux, you can pretty much forget it.

You might also be interested in WINEX. It's WINE w/ some DirectX mixed in.

heh, just fort **t's and giigles i dl'd the ut2k3 demo for linux.. OMG! this runs so much smoother than it did in windows.... i can run settings way high and still runs flawllessly, in windows it craped FPS if i went above 8x6 and like semi-medium detal...

Back