• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I drill a hole in a mirror

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cack01

Do any of you know if its possible to drill a hole in a mirror using regular tools? (i.e. drill and drill bit :) )

I am assuming a profesional place can do it, but it would be nice if I could do it my self.

i spose you could do it with a tile drill, ceramic tiles are just as liable to breaking.
Go and ask a glass shop, theyl prob sell you the right drill bit aswell.

A tile drill will work, I just did one in my bathroom. Just make sure you mask the bit of mirrir youre drilling, put your drill on its slowest speed, and dont apply too much pressure. Takes a while, but you just have to be patient.

_slh_ said:
A tile drill will work, I just did one in my bathroom. Just make sure you mask the bit of mirrir youre drilling, put your drill on its slowest speed, and dont apply too much pressure. Takes a while, but you just have to be patient.

Exactly, I would also make sure you wear some sort of breathing protection because when you drill you'll essentially be making fiberglass (itchy) perhaps a little hint of what you're up to? ;)

kaltag said:

.....perhaps a little hint of what you're up to? ;)

Im guessing he cut out a window hole in his case, and is putting in a mirror in there and he wants to add a blow hole maybe...?

No its an optical illusion mod I'm doing. Hopefully I will have pics in a week.

Thanks for the help. I guess I'm off to home depot.

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news or anything, but the mirroed plexi might not be a bad idea. I have drilled holes in many a piece of glass, and the chance of you breaking it the first time you try it is much greater than your chances of not breaking it. Another thing you will want to do that I didn't see mentioned is lubricate the area being drilled while you are drilling. Water or oil will work, just something that will cool the bit down some. Take your time and go very slow with very little preasure, if you have acces to a drill press use it, the slightest bit of movement side to side while drilling will break the glass. Another thing that I have found that works well is to drill partially through on one side then turn it over and drill from the backside. These are just my experiances with it and I have alot of practice. :)

Good luck, hope it turns out well.

i alawys used carbide tipped drill bits, but i preped the hole by taking a wad of modeling clay and making a cup on the glass in the area i wanted to drill and filling the clay cup with cutting oil....

never broke a peice yet, but it does take a long *** time to drill. also driling it by hand you might want to put some cushy foam under it so you dont apply too much pressure and crack it.

Back