• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop for Bluetooth

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KraziKid

Well, since I purchased a MSDN subscription, I have not been using Linux since about March when I replaced my server with Windows Server 2003. I want to re-install Linux as a dual boot on my workstation, so I may still play around in Linux. The only thing holding me back is that I need this keyboard and mouse combination to work. I do not want two keyboards and mice connected (one for Windows, and one for Linux). I have found this website, but I need another success story before I dive in. Any help is appreciated.

As far as I know, that site is all there is right now. I used the guy's software to use the MS Bluetooth mouse on my computer, but it is a little painful managing bluetooth - the mouse is nice and all, but I have a hard time getting it to stay connected to my computer. Even in Winxp it is troublesome, more so than it is in Linux even.

I have used the keyboard and mouse since it came out (In Windows XP), and have had 0 problems. Something that may bother people is the "sleep" mode they enter, but a quick jiggle of the mouse wakes it up. I actually like this keyboard and mouse better than any other I've used.

The sleep mode wasn't a big deal for me, but in Linux the mouse loses the connection alot, and in WindowsXP I haven't been able to get it to connect AT ALL lately.

I do like the mouse's shape and look, and I wish the bluetooth was more reliable so I could use the mouse. I'm thinking *maybe* my problem could be that I've got 802.11 close by.

For your Windows XP Problem, try this. Firstly, make sure you have a normal keyboard and mouse connected, because you will be deleteing the profiles for the bluetooth ones. Now, go to Start -> Control Panel. Now go to Printers and Other Hardware, and then to Wireless Link. Now, Click on the Mouse click Remove, then do the same thing for the keyboard. Now, go to intellipoint, and click the Wireless tab. Then click Connect, and follow the instructions (they are the same as when you first connected the keyboard and mouse). Now do the same in intellipoint. Let me know if this helped. 802.11b shouldn't interfere with bluetooth. I also have an AP close by, and it does not interfere with mine. Also, I agree, the mouses shape is great. It is the most comfortable one I have used.

aren't bluetooth and 802.11b the same thing really? I thought bluetooth was just a propriety of 11b and meant for close range

No.

They are totally different things. You can think of Bluetooth as wireless usb. Its meant pretty much to do what usb does, connect random peripherals. 802.11 is networking. More bandwidth, more range, uses more juice.

XWRed1 said:
No.

They are totally different things. You can think of Bluetooth as wireless usb. Its meant pretty much to do what usb does, connect random peripherals. 802.11 is networking. More bandwidth, more range, uses more juice.

You basically hit the nail on the head except for one thing. Bluetooth, the protocol, is a networking protocol. Bluetooth has it's own lingo, but in itself, it is a personal networking protocol.

i figured i'd omit that part. I've pinged my mouse in Linux... but really it is meant for connecting or networking peripherals to computers and each other, not for networking computers to each other.

Back