• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WISE like install creation software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Mr_B=-

Sometime around back when we transported software on small stone tablets, i used a software, Wise, something, to create nifty little installers from pre-exsisting content. You told it to make a snapshot of your system, install things, and make a new snapshot, and make an installer that did "that".
Like, install a game, it's updates, DirectX, and so on, and then get a smaller install package since the overwritten stuff wouldn't be there, and a single package, rather then a bunch. It made life easy, if you were running the same installs over and over.
Now, i need something similar. But i have no idea what I'm looking for. With my googly eyes i spotted WISE Install Maker, which apparently got bought by Symantec, and later, abandoned as a product.
Most ideas is at this point, welcome.

What i really want to do, is try and make a new installer from a Transmission 2.93 for windows, that ignores windows version, so i can try Transmission 2.93 on Windows Home Server v1, since i suspect it's only the installer preventing it from installing, and that it would run just fine, if the registry keys are in place, and the DLL's are registered. (I'm basing that on wishful thinking, and the fact that i doubt they have switched API's without stepping up the major version number, but i could be way of base. Anyhow, it's an interesting problem, and i thought i'd see if i could find a solution. The system has 2.82 running on it, which works just fine. Again, wishful thinking. The outcome could be anything.) So i need to create a installer that doesn't use Windows Installer Service, or, at least works with whatever old version Windows Home Server v1 uses, which i suppose is what ever Windows Server 2003 was updated to use, before Microsoft abandoned it... Any workaround would probably work, except "install a different OS" since the system is a headless server, with a HP concocted PXE boot that only accepts their WHS v1 image, or boots WHS v1 of the drives after it's installed. And while a Atom D510 hardly is a monster machine, it's more then able to run torrents.

It's my understanding that talking about torrenting is permitted by the forum rules, just not talking about piracy, so, please, lets refrain from that.

NSIS ("Nullsoft Scriptable Install System") or WiX. Both are free and open source. NSIS makes regular old .exe packages. WiX makes .msi installers that are much better for anything that will have upgrades installed or be uninstalled from add/remove programs menu, or if you have dependencies like MSVC or VB runtimes.

That takes care of the second half of the problem, i suppose. I was hoping to find something like the old solution i had, just tell the software to look, start the install, or installs, and tell the software when it's done, and it outputs all the changes to a package. Now i actually seem to have to learn stuff. ;- )

Thanks, it gets me further then anything else i've found so far.

As far as i can tell, nothing "checks" the windows version as such. It just requires a newer Windows Installer Service then what is available for WHS v1 (Windows Server 2003 based, i believe, so not really that weird that it hasn't been updated.)
Just copying the files over, doesn't work, since the DLL's and what not isn't registered, so it fails to run. I've been fiddling with the two suggestions above, but have so far been unable to figure anything out, i lack the important bit, the ability to figure out DLL registrations.
Anyway, i have just about given up on this, and will have to build a dedicated system for torrenting, and simply point it to the X310 for storage. I'll leave it running 2.82 until i can get that done. It just feels weird that i can buy older & slower hardware, to run a different OS, and get the newer version Transmission. To me it seems a lot of the point with small and lightweight is lost at that... Oh well.

As far as i can tell, nothing "checks" the windows version as such. It just requires a newer Windows Installer Service then what is available for WHS v1 (Windows Server 2003 based, i believe, so not really that weird that it hasn't been updated.)
Just copying the files over, doesn't work, since the DLL's and what not isn't registered, so it fails to run. I've been fiddling with the two suggestions above, but have so far been unable to figure anything out, i lack the important bit, the ability to figure out DLL registrations.
Anyway, i have just about given up on this, and will have to build a dedicated system for torrenting, and simply point it to the X310 for storage. I'll leave it running 2.82 until i can get that done. It just feels weird that i can buy older & slower hardware, to run a different OS, and get the newer version Transmission. To me it seems a lot of the point with small and lightweight is lost at that... Oh well.

Why do you need to use Transmission? If it's for the web UI, qBittorrent has a web UI too, and claims support for XP still, so your old 2003 system should work. It has all of Transmission's features that I'm aware of and then some.

Last edited:
Mostly i guess it's down to the fact that the other system (a ReadyNAS NV+), doesn't have anything but Transmission as an alternative, running both from the same GUI on my main is just the simple solution. I would run Deluge on the X310 if it wasn't for that.

I'm going to look in to running a pair of I5 2500 systems in a pair of Supermicro 813MTQ-350CB chassis, and replace both the NV+ and the X310, at which point i suspect i can run pretty much anything on them. Not exactly sure how well none SM motherboards fit, and what, if any shrouds would fit, but if i can make it work, i guess that will be a solution. Or, just sell of the 2500 stuff, and buy SM Atom based motherboards, or something, as the budget allows. Going to, as in, it's free stuff i happen to know is coming my way, so i suppose i should just make something happen.

Thank you for the creative suggestion, it's much appreciated.

Back