• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enough POWAH?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NO LIFE

Ok if you look in my sig you will see what my set-up is. My PSU is this:

http://www.apextechusa.com/proddetail_power.asp?id=19

In addition to whats in my sig I have one of the HDDS in a soon to be coolermaster cool drive 4 (has a fan to cool the HDD, LCD for temps, and works as a 4 fan controller). The other HDD is cooled by a antec HDD cooler with 2 40mm fans. I have 5 other 80mm fans. and 4 cold cathodes running off of 2 dual inverters. I also have a 16x DVD-drive, and a 52x CD-RW. Its allll running off the true 450.

My question is....will I be able to add this to everything:

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw50-T.asp

It says I will need a minimum 7.5A @ 12v. I have no clue wtf that means. But from the reviews I have seen on this gpu block the pelt wires go into a molex connector...which usually suggests its fine to hook up to a psu.

Imma newb help me here guys....and thanks!!

I have also read larva's sticky where he stated that allied are real crap. But in my spec sheet is says the combined 3.3v/5v is 230watts. Seems fine to me.

You'll need 7.5a on the 12v rail in addition to what your system requires, and I'm very reluctant to say any Allied PSU could handle that, being Deers in disguise (take the spec sheet with a grain of salt). I would suggest going to an Antec 480w or 550w, or perhaps the Fortron 530w.

Might even be wise to get a Fortron/Sparkle 550w EPS unit for the much stronger 12v output - I hear they come with adapters for non server boards, but I'll stick with my recommendations in the first paragraph as I have no experience with pelts myself. Maybe someone else can give you some better advice than I.

It's not that 18A won't run a computer, it just won't run one with 7.5A to spare. 7.5A is a giant amount of current, and only the very highest output supplies have a chance of coming up with it. I'd get a True Power 550, or one of the Fortron 550s mentioned. You do need to make sure you get the appropriate adaptor to hook it up to your standard ATX board, but it has two seperate 18A 12V circuits, or a single 36A output depending on the version of the 550 you get. This is the kind of brawn you need for a pelt.

If your current power supply wasn't so iffy I'd recommend getting a seperate, AC powered 12V power supply to run the pelt with rather than tacking it on the system's power supply. But since you really need a new supply anyway I'd get something like the TP550 or Fortron 550 and be done with it.

I was looking at a True480...it has 22A@12v and from what I have read a P4 uses a little over 9A so an AMD wont use that much. With everything elese added the True480 should be enough right? I was looking at the Sparkle 550 and it only puts out 150watt with 3.3v+5v....I dont know how that is.

"from what I have read a P4 uses a little over 9A"
9A x 12v = 108w
That sounds pretty high, this means the Vcore regulator would have about 83% effciency, which means it would have 18w of heat to deal with.
All the high powered Vcore regulators I have seen have either no heatsinks or very small ones, so they can't get rid of heat very easily.
BTW, power supply technology has improved so fast over the years, I have an old Pentium 1 motherboard(~10w) with big voltage regulator heatsinks that get finger-burning hot, and I have seen a Britney motherboard(~110w) without voltage regulator heatsinks, and it only gets warm!
I wouldn't trust an Allied/Deer PSU for any system, the only PSU I would trust for a Peltier setup is:
070803-PCPowerCooling.JPG

I think the True 480 will power the system, but just barely... given the amount of experience Larva's had though you can pretty much take his advice to the bank :)

As for PC P&C, one hopes you own said bank ;)

Yea I would love to have a PC P&C Turbo 510.....but If I drop 190 bucks on one of those I wont be able to but the MCW-50t.......which would be sorta retarded : /

As for the PSU, will the extra 2A i get from a True480 to a True550 really make all the difference? I am not taking your advice into question....I am just not very knowledged about how many amps everything comsumes.

Thanks for all the great help ppl!!! Keep it coming plz!

star882 said:
"from what I have read a P4 uses a little over 9A"
9A x 12v = 108w
That sounds pretty high, this means the Vcore regulator would have about 83% effciency, which means it would have 18w of heat to deal with.
All the high powered Vcore regulators I have seen have either no heatsinks or very small ones, so they can't get rid of heat very easily.
BTW, power supply technology has improved so fast over the years, I have an old Pentium 1 motherboard(~10w) with big voltage regulator heatsinks that get finger-burning hot, and I have seen a Britney motherboard(~110w) without voltage regulator heatsinks, and it only gets warm!
I wouldn't trust an Allied/Deer PSU for any system, the only PSU I would trust for a Peltier setup is:
070803-PCPowerCooling.JPG

Britney Spears? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but Meagan Gale is "THE" babe my friend and best of all shes an AUSSIE;

Meagan - Gods gift to us ALL

Nuff said.

Back