• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In a pinch: Tin foil?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BBigJ

My brother needs to transport some computer equipment (vid card, ram...) and he doesn't have anti-static bags to put them in. I told him to wrap them in tin foil and wrap them in lots of padding. They are not being shipped and everything is being moved by car. Is there anything I'm not thinking of that makes this a really bad idea?

i dont think its a good idea

i belive that most bags are conductive externaly but not internaly

i mean if you zaped the tin foil it would hit all the points that it contacts the card as well wouldnt it

i would jsut go get some bags its worth prices vs. the risk

I wouldn't bother with the tin foil. It's usually aluminum anyway. I don't think that I've ever seen Tin foil, just aluminum foil. Tin or Aluminum: I think it's a moot point. Just don't let them get scratched up by rubbing against each other. A box and layers of newspaper would be more than enough for me.

Also, I agree with Crash893
i dont think its a good idea

i belive that most bags are conductive externaly but not internaly

i mean if you zaped the tin foil it would hit all the points that it contacts the card as well wouldnt it

The point of the tinfoil (aluminum foil as some prefer to call it, as that is what it is really made out of) would be to dissipate the static electricity when you touch it, so that only a small shock gets through to the components. NEVER put your electronics in a plain plastic or ziplock bag. Have you ever seen how much static they build up? It's an almost sure-kill way of transporting electronics. The same thing will happen with styrofoam peanuts. However, wrapping it in foil and then putting it in a box with peanuts is the best way to transport, IMO. Either that or just a plain box with nothing in it. The VERY best way is to use real antistatic bags. Also, never put your stuff on the outside of antistatic bags, as the outside is plain plastic and will act the same as a ziploc bag.

hdj said:
The bags are actually conductive on the INSIDE, and not on the outside.

then put it in some tin wrap and throw it in a ziplock

techincaly coulnt you just put them in water till you got there

doesnt water dispurse static electricty

you of corse would need to dry them out good

mabey some sort of mineral oil ( dont actually do this im just thinking out loud)

hdj said:
The bags are actually conductive on the INSIDE, and not on the outside.
I'm sorry but this is definately not true. Conductive on the outside. You are never supposed to set your electronics ON a bag. The bag is designed to channel static AROUND the electronics.

I personally rarely follow the rules. Knock on wood, haven't killed anything yet. I really agree with the 'No plastic baggies and styrofoam thing. Even I wouldn't do that.

i re-use plastic bags, set things on bags, counter tops, carpet, you name it, i've laid my crap on it - never had a problem so far... to each his own..

mmm i wonder if putting the aluminum foil around your stuff would make it like a faraday cage. well as long as your hdd or nic or what not was not touching the tin foil.

-=HN=- Wild9 said:
mmm i wonder if putting the aluminum foil around your stuff would make it like a faraday cage. well as long as your hdd or nic or what not was not touching the tin foil.

Exactly. Thank you.

You could try calling a local pack and mail or similiar mail facility and ask if they sell Anti Static bags, It's possible Radio Shack sells them as well. Also you could call a local PC store.

I do not recommend this but If you have absolutely no alternative I would put the items in a box with polystyrene foam, rubber or soft plastic on the bottom, sides and on the top with enough to keep the items from shifting. Naturally Anti static bags are the only safe option. Also try to handle the items as little as possible because the oils from your hand can damage ESD sensitive items.

Back