• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

most extreme cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

This year in school I am taking a R&D class basicly our assignment for this semester is to design something etc for anything then draw it w/ autocad and/or viz,build a model and so on then submit it to some contest. I plan on doing something w/ EXTREME cooling so I was wondering if you guys had any ideas and what is the most extreme cooling you can think of for a price of around $100-$150. I was thinking liquid n2 or something price depending. Or some kind of EXTREME cooling to upgrade what I have now wich is water with a small water chiller.

:rolleyes:

you have to actually MAKE one that works or just a model?

dude, if youve never built a phase change or know anything about it, your not going to easily make something other than using a peltier.
phase change aint no joke.
and definately not a cascade (dual) compressor setup. if you dont know what your doing you could seriously kill yourslef.
hook it up wrong and when it pumps refrigerant in to the next compressor....KABOOM.

no lie.

tgp said:

you have to actually MAKE one that works or just a model?

dude, if youve never built a phase change or know anything about it, your not going to easily make something other than using a peltier.
phase change aint no joke.
and definately not a cascade (dual) compressor setup. if you dont know what your doing you could seriously kill yourslef.
hook it up wrong and when it pumps refrigerant in to the next compressor....KABOOM.

no lie.

Not too sure if I need a model or one that actually works. I figured one that actually works would be pretty cool because after the school crap I could use it for my main system. As for the its no joke it can kill you blah blah....Oh This forum has a policy of tolerance and inclusion. Prejudicial language and behavior is absolutely forbidden and may result in loss of posting privileges. Racial, Sexist or religious slights of any kind are absolutely not tolerated, nor are slights against other groups based on sexual orientation, age, class, IQ, ethnicity or similar features.

This rule and others can be found in the link I.M.O.G. posted below.

eobard

tgp said:
make a cryogenic cascade phase change system using Helium as the refrigerant.

temp= -296c

sure thats correct? not to be rude or anything but if im correct -273ºc is the lowest you can get anything lower = absolute zero

Wanna lend me some $ for it tgp??? $600 for a guage is pretty iffy.

Are you asking what's the most extreme MODEL of a system for $150, or a realistic system for that cheap? Because... for $150, you aren't going to get much more extreme than a weak peltier installation =/.

vonkaar said:
Are you asking what's the most extreme MODEL of a system for $150, or a realistic system for that cheap? Because... for $150, you aren't going to get much more extreme than a weak peltier installation =/.

I kinda thought of kludging something that wouldnt cost much and would do some major cooling thats all.

Last edited by a moderator:
you might get by. and i mean MIGHT, with a phase change that will do -30 unloaded.

you start talking cold, more than -50 wise. your talking serious money/knowledge.

of course, you could always do dry ice or ln2. but make sure you buy a couple of chips and mobos. cause when your chip permanently bonds to your socket your gonna wish you had. and thats the good cases. others result in circuits breaking off. and even pieces of your mobo flaking off.

i dont know much, but ive figured this out:
extremely cold=extreme $$$/knowledge.

Many ppl spend $150 on a simple watercooling setup.

On your limited budget, I'd salvage a biggass frezeer(given away by ppl who bought new ones) and stick the evaporator(the cold part) in a bucket and get a couple of gallons of water + anitfreeze. Pump the water around with your pump of choice. That might get you some sub ambient cooling.

Siphilon said:
$150 is easy...You could atleast do Water cooling with phase change chilling.

_Siph

Thats what I figured. I already have res,pump,and rad which just sit here because I have replaced them outta my main system. As for a block ill just replace the one im using now and use the old one and so on. Plus alittle kludging i think ill be able to come up with something.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are the forum rules though. If you want to talk about these types of things you should do so in the General Discussion forum. This isn't the forum for those topics.

Creepy: I can only think of maybe a peltier watercooling system. 150 isn't very much. As tgp had said, super low temperatures = super high cash expenditure. You could try designing a very efficient way of cooling that is dependant on size. Maybe something that is much smaller than current solutions but performs the same? That might qualify as extreme if you look at it a certain way.

Stick to the topic please. Most of us come here for the purpose of the forum - Computer related discussion. There are chat forums all over the internet if you want to chat, but this is not the place for it. There are members of this forum that could really contribute to a topic like this, but would avoid participating in a thread like this.

Keep in mind the forum policy regarding personal attacks:

To this end, we have established over time a few simple rules which allow for a broad diversity of opinions and points of view to express themselves, without creating disharmony and ill-will. They are as follows:

1. Absolutely NO personal attacks will be tolerated, no exceptions!

2. No hard language is permitted. If you feel you absolutely must swear the use of Stars (*) can convey your feeling with out endangering your place in our forums. Saying "S***!" is allowed. Saying "YOU S*** is never allowed, ever!!

If you are interested in reading more about the rules, look here:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/announcement.php?s=&forumid=6

Thank you. :)

eobard

hey creepy i thought of a way u get way bellow zero temps if not lower. Go with a water cooling setup then stick your radiator between 2 slabs of dry ice dry ice is pretty cheep and will keep you @ prolly way below zero. this is just a thought hope it wook it is what i wanna do.

I trimmed a lot of things out of this, making light of mental illness, personal attacks, harsh language. But I'm letting it stay because it had a good start and I'd like to see it go somewhere productive. Let's keep it on track from here on out please.

Adrian

I guess the most extreme measures I seen so far involve Mobo Submersion. It can get pretty expensive depending on the setup used. I am currently working on a system myself. It's still in the early planning stages though.

Stay away from flourinert, ln2, and dry ice as they are very expensive. (Excellent cooling properties but considering you're budget...) Consider mineral oil instead. There are several threads here in the forums that discuss that very thing. The major hurdle is pumping the oil once it is chilled, as it's viscosity worsens as temps go down. Chilling the oil can be done with phase change, an old, working camping fridge (propane powered maybe?)

It should be fairly cheap to do. I don't know how well it would work, but it would LOOK extreme!

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Back