• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linksys Wireless G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

Is this a good router? Does it have a built in firewall? cnet didn't really seem to like it, but i need a relatively cheap wireless networking thing which can
1. serve as a router so my compters can access the internet
2. allow me to network my computers
3. has a firewall
4. is not to expensive ~$100
5. easy to set up

i am a complete networking noob, and i was looking at that one because its the only one iv really heard of (linksys and cisco)

EDIT: any recommendations?

Last edited:
I have the regular 802.11b Linksys router. It works just fine. The G won't be that much faster, and you can save some cash by getting the B.

There are numerous articles on the web about the performance of wireless G and the standards mess surrounding it. Those two reasons (incompatibility between manufacturerers and not so much speed improvement) kept me from going to the Linksys G.

HTH

We tried the B first and it was sloooooooow....maybe it was just a bad card or something, but it was the same brand everything, and the wireless part just wasn't fast enough. It would take an hour and a half to transfer 60MB over the wireless connnection.

We use G now and have had no problems. I cant say the same is true for everyone, but im completely satisfied with that router.

Last edited:
Back