• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good idea to bump mem volts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Z_oc

Hi,

Is it a good idea to bump the RAM voltage in a dual channel DDR 400 config (i865PE) setup even when running at stock speeds (400 MHz DDR)?

Does it improve the stability? Using cheap Kingston ValueRAM with Winbond chips.

Thanks.

Is the system not stable?

When in doubt always revert to this.

If it aint broke dont fix it. If your having problems at stock speeds then you should return the ram. If not then there is no gain out of it.

The system is stable at DDR400.

Only problem is I get BIOS corruption with my P4P800 with Turbo mode on, and sometimes it shows "Overclocking Failed" when I bump the FSB up to 250 MHz with 5:4 ratio.

Likely to be a CPU problem?

It's not a bad idea of increasing the DDR voltage of DDR400 chips to 2.6V instead of default 2.5 V. Even JEDEC allows memory manufacturers to request 2.6V for their modules to be the default voltage.

250 MHz instead of 200 can cause instabilities if the CPU is one with a higher multiplier (2.8 GHz or above) and you do not increase the Vcore.

Back