• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just modded my flashlight

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
Sorry, no pics at the moment, but I just had to post because I'm very proud! I had been planning on making an LED mag lite for quite some time now and I finally got all the parts together and took the time to bust it out. And here's the recipie!

Ingredients:
1 Mag lite flashlight, 5 D cell (Rodney King Edition!)
5 9000mAh NiMH D batteries
20 9000mcd ultra bright white LEDs
soldering iron, various pliers, some wire, and a pcb to put it all togther.
2 margaritas with fresh juice and patron tequila
2 jello shooters (celebration:beer: :bday: )

I just got the 20 LEDs completely enclosed in the flashlight and it looks awesome. Not quite as bright as it would be with the regular bulb, but it's a whiter light (not orange colored like bulbs) and can run for 24 hours straight before a recharge (calculated time of charge, not tested yet. It may be much higher).

And as soon as I take the time to find some info on how to build a rapid recharging circuit, I'll build a charger for the batteries so that I just plug the entire flashlight into a base to let it charge when not in use. Right now I'm still going to be taking the batteries out to charge in a regular charger.

Total cost for anyone who may want to try this: $130 + cost of solder and pcb and such. The mag lite was $20. The LEDs were $20 (thanks to exabytesystems.com, which will soon no longer be a source of LEDS). The rechargable batteries and charging base was $90.:eek:

pics dude!!!!!

lol, I modded my mini-mag lite a while back with an LED. I'm sad, because I must have left it on and now the battery is dead.....and the other battery is at home.....8 hours away, hehe. I could stop at a radio shack, but those are expensive batteries (12v, same width as AAA but half the length.)

Anyway, i've always wanted to make a big mag-lite LED conversion....I just didn't have the materials or patience, hehe.

Anyway, what's the battery life on that compared to a regular mag-lite? And, how does the brightness compare? I suppose with the 9000mcd LEDs, it's going to be comparable if not better, heh. The LEDs I have are about 3000mcd....so it's almost the same as that tiny light bulb, heh.

And again, we need pics!!!

edit:

doh! I didn't read your post completely, rofl....my bad.

Back