• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Pentium M?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

epauls

Noticed a lot of the high end laptops are coming withthe Pentium M processor even though it is rated at a much slower clock speed.

What's the scoop with this processor? Is the 1.3ghz as fast as say the P4 2.4?

The Pentium-M benchmarks at about +1 GHz over the Pentium 4 - M. Essentially, a P-M 1.4 is comparable to about a P4-M 2.4. It was designed from the ground up as a laptop prcessor (a first for Intel). It is basically everything good from the PIII plus all the good from the P4 (only fixed and refined). Search the forums. There are a lot of good posts about thiese chips (also search for centrino, as the Pentium-M is part of the Centrino package). Intel's site also has some side by side comparisons of the P4-M and the P-M.

Thanks for the responce. I will maybe even actually use the "search" feature:D

my pentium-m runs faster than my athlon 1800+ besides the harddrive speed. Its a great cpu for traveling and moderate gaming.

I can't wait for the 2GHz Dothan with 2MB of L2 cache.

It'll be interesting how the mobile hammers stack up. Benches seem to show that A64 Jr.=Banias.

I'm not really familiar with all the processors that will be coming out within the next year, but what you said sounds quite nice.

(BTW, do you really own that first comp in your sig? If so, how much was all that? Must have been a fortune.)

Not likely because according to AMD there is no opteron 250 yet, and if/when there is it's supposed to be 2.2GHz - not 3GHz. According to Epox there is no such motherboard 9RMA+. Rig #2 is his sig appears to be "imaginary" as well considering there are very few prescott samples so far, and there is no such Asus motherboard P5PE1066.

Hah, I didn't even read the second rig. I knew that there weren't any .09 processors out, so I guess that would have tipped me off right there if I would have read it. But oh man, that would be a dream rig for my CG work.

:D

Had you guys going there for a moment, didn't I?

Still, if AMD/IBM are really successful with 90nm, then late 2.4GHz samples (model x50 for opterons) might reach 3GHz. And 4.3 is the predicted top end OC for prescotts.

So while the motherboards and cards may be fictional, equivalents of them will most likely exist. :)

Last edited:
Just a note ankalar, Pentium Ms are not "Centrino" cored P4s. They are a different chip that utilizes some of the P4 technology (in a much better and efficient way than the P4). They are just about as much PIII as they are P4 though. Also, Centrino isn't a core design, it is a mobile specification developed by Intel that includes the Pentium M, integrated Intel 802.11b and a couple of other things. The Pentium M core is Banias (next year the Dothan core chips will be released).

Centrino is really confusing a lot of people these days... Centrino is a lot like a certification for audio equipment - kinda like a THX certified receiver. It's only "centrino" if you get a combination of Intel components.

Back