• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP... I want some more speed here...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mister C™

Finally i've gotten myself some new hardware, after 3 years on a 333 K6-2...

I need some good advice on what to do, to get it up to at least a gig, whitout modding to much, i WILL not mod the mobo, i've considered adding another fan to the side of the HS, to get more cooling from this standard hsf. Also i'm not to keen on going any higher than 1.85 volt, i don't want to kill this hardware, coz i dont know when i'm gonna be able to replace it, it's not THAT cheap...

If there's anything else you need to know, drop me a note on [email protected]

The hardware is :
DURON 800
Soltek SL-75KAV
Coolermaster EP-6I11
Geforce2 MX w/Heatsink (added fan)
256 MB PC133 Spectek Ram

everything is standard settings right now.
Pencil trick is done on L1 bridges

Sides are of he case to lower temp inside.
CPU temp right now is 35C
System temp is 26

Regards
MisterC_DK

You'll probably be able to get to a gig with that setup, but you might want to consider watercooling. It's the only way to keep the temps down to a reasonable number when you start running up those chips. How high have you been able to get it already?

Yea you should be able to get 1 ghz with that setup as I hit that with a core voltage of 1.85v ( Temps Loaded = CPU @ 33 c, System @ 27 c )

Duron 800 @ 1050 with Global Win FOP-32 (140 x 7.5)
Abit KT7A-Raid Mobo
512 mb (133 mhz Crucial Stuff CAS 2)
Hard Drive Cooler
Elsa Eraser X2 Gforce with Blue Orb (modified to display as a Quadro and overclocked http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/quadro/ )
Sound Blaster Live Value
Full Tower with 5 (120 mm) case fans with seperate PSU

So far i've had it up and running at 986 @ 1.7 volts, the temp reached 43 when running 3dMark 2001, but it was not stable, halfway through the benchmark it crashed right back to the desktop, and on reboot it said, there was no bios, so i had to take it back down again.

BTW what's the maximum safe temp for a duron?, i've set the alarm to go off at 56C

I've tried to put it up to 1.85v and set it to 7.5x133.3 but no way, it wouldnt boot, it just said no bios, i've tried a lot of things here, to get it up on the gig but it just wont do it :-( i've tried 10x100, 9.5x105, 8.5x115 and 7x140 and it just dont boot, always the same result no bios (checksum error or something like that)

so for the moment i'm running it at 800, with standard settings until i can get a stable configuration running.

One problem with this machine could be my PSU, it's only 235W.....i know it's kind a small but it will have to do for the moment until i get a better one.

Regards
Mister C

U should keep ur Duron under 55C, and it's best under 50C, it can run at higher C's, but it's very unhealthy for the chip.
I think u should give ur chip some time, do some burn-in. I couldn't get mine faster than 900MHz, until after some days use. So make it work heavily @ 950MHz or something like that, and see what happens.

I've got my system running now at 9x105 @ 1.75 v the cpu temp when running 3dMark 2001 reaches 44C and the idle temp is 41C.

3dMark 2001 result with this setup is 2465

Regards
Mister C(tm)

Back