• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID possibility?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buddha1822

I don't know much about RAID, but i was just thinking that if i do RAID, it would probably help me out a bunch...

i am wondering if I currently have two WD "caviar" HD's, one is 80GB and one is 120GB, they are both FULL so i can't reformat either... and i am wondering if i can combine them and use RAID 0 now (after they are already filled with data) and have them running RAID?

let me know if something like that is possible :)

I'm afraid you will lose any data already on the drives. Also, it's worth noting any space on the larger drive will be truncated and left unused. So, using two drives, 80 and 120 Gig, you will end up with a maximum 160 Gig partition and the 40 gig spare on the 120 drive will be unused.

Cjwinnit said:
I'm afraid you will lose any data already on the drives. Also, it's worth noting any space on the larger drive will be truncated and left unused. So, using two drives, 80 and 120 Gig, you will end up with a maximum 160 Gig partition and the 40 gig spare on the 120 drive will be unused.
What he said. At best, you'll have to back up everything you have, then stripe the drives, and that will yield a single stripe set of a little under 160 gigs. You'll lose the top 40 off the 120 drive.

Back