• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mandrake 9.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

How can i get to my Windows files in Mandrake? I would like to get access some of my mp3 files.

Where are these files located, on the same hard drive on another partition ?... on the same computer on another hard drive or on another computer connected to via a network... A little more information would be helpfull.
Also what version of Windows and what is the drive format (NTFS, FAT)

If your files are on another windows box, use Gnomba (easy-to-use frontend for samba) to browse your windows boxes. All you have to tell it is the possible range of IP addresses and it will happily scan your network and tell you what's on it.

If your files are on a fat or ntfs partition on the computer you've got Mandrake on, you can mount it (but you can't safely write to ntfs) by doing:
su (type password)
mkdir /mnt/windows
mount /dev/hdd5 /mnt/windows (replace /dev/hdd5 with your windows partition)
Now all your files are in /mnt/windows.
If you get an error on the last step, you're probably missing kernel support for the filesystem. Look for and install the ntfs package, do modprobe ntfs as root and retry the last step.

its on the same computer, same harddrive. The format is NFTS and os is Window XP.

bump

and can someone help me log in as a SU? i can't figure out how.

open a command line interface (Bash, Konsel etc )
and type SU
you will then be prompted for the super user password.

If you wish to log into the GUI using the super user account you use the username 'root' and the SU password (this is not advisable or widely used practice)

UnseenMenace said:
open a command line interface (Bash, Konsel etc )
and type SU
you will then be prompted for the super user password.

If you wish to log into the GUI using the super user account you use the username 'root' and the SU password (this is not advisable or widely used practice)

yea i do this, but stay in the console... how do i go back into the desktop so i can set up some "root" settings?

stan03 said:

yea i do this, but stay in the console... how do i go back into the desktop so i can set up some "root" settings?

What settings are you trying to change? There really shouldn't be any reason to be logging into X as root. Remember that root is intended as an account for maintenance only, not for regular use. Personally, I'd suggest you login as your regular user, and "su" as necessary.

i can't remember what i was doing, but i tried to change something (if you havne't noticed im a complete linux noob, i know absolutely nothing) and this hand came up and was like "you have to be root to blah blah ..."

Back