• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

90 degree that bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wannaoc

In my current setup it will be much easier to use one 90 degree elbow going into the bayres. The exit from the bayres would still be straight but it needs a 90 degree going into it. Would it really hurt the flow that bad? I use a Danner 3 w/ maze3/dtek chipset/ and mcw50 blocks with 1/2" barbs and 3/8" tubes.

If your pump can handle it its fine but it really cuts flow, esp if you have a pump that doesn't push a lot. I don't know about the danner 3 and how well it would do, but its not like its gonna make your processor die of heat if you use one. If its just one its probably fine though, I have seen about 15 in somone's before with a pretty small pump and the temp was ok, but not really Overclocking standards. I would say do what you gotta do.

"Long curve" elbows probably have less impact on the flow.

33819709.jpg

Wow, I bet those things don't effect flow at all or very close. I wish I had room for it but I need a 90 coming out of the bayres and it doesn't have room believe it or not. Nice find though!

The flow impact is small. In my system, CPU idle & load temps didn't go up after I added the long curved elbows :)

userA said:
"Long curve" elbows probably have less impact on the flow.

33819709.jpg

i can remember somethings looking at that from my car modding days :D those seem to press bent so the diameter is really consrictive in the bend ; if u really wanted a no loss bend go with a mandrel bent pipe , it carries the same diameter throughout

I recommend that all read THIS article by PHaestus on optimizing flow. For a break down of fitting restriction, see this:

Fitting (K coefficient)

90 degree Mitre (60f) <----- The worst

90 degree Sweep (30f) <----- 1/2 as bad as above

45 degree sweep (10f) <----- 2 of these are better than 1 90 sweep

T straight through (20f) <----- Typically used in Tee lines, 1/2" ID will have less effect... I found some 5/8" OD, 1/2" ID at McMaster.

T through branch (60f) <----- Same effect as a 90 degree mitre

Here's my thoughts on the 90's:
1. Yes they affect performance but its not really a hugely noticable affect. My system (may it rest in pieces) had like 7 of them in it with maybe a 1 degree difference.
2. If you watercool for a silent setup and are insanely worried about performance 90's are like your best friend for looks and size. They tend to get the whole system inside the case and keep excess tubing at a minimum.
3. I haven't actually done extensive testing for any of this but my friend has. His first setup had no 90's in it and there was tubing spilling out of every side, it was a mess. His new setup, after doing some tests, is going to include almost 10 90's and he is of the opinion that any performance loss will be negligable.

There you have it, that's what I think/know. For best performance 90's are bad. But if you're willing to sacrifice a few degrees for a better looking system then don't worry about a few 90 degree fittings.

HeXenViRii said:
dpfirstbend.jpg
See there is no depression in that pipe bend ...

More info :
http://www.extrememotorsports.com/mandrel.htm

Uh OH, Another former car nut, and from the looks of the site, a former DSMer.

:cool: Say hello to Mary Jane in all her glory....

420a.jpg

Traded her in for a 4 door Corolla for the wife and kid.

:( I still miss her.

BACK TO THE SUBJECT AT HAND.

When I used to work in the swimming pool industry a few years back there was a chart that showed the flow comparisons of different PVC fitting types and sizes and their flow loss. The only one I can remember is 1 1/2 inch but it will give you an idea in comparison to the smaller sizes; 1 - 1 1/2 inch 90 deg PVC fitting had an equal loss of flow as 10 feet of pipe the same diameter. 1 - 45 deg PVC fitting had an equal loss of flow as 2 feet of pipe the same diameter.

Back