• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

few questions for a new user

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt_w_lambert

i just started folding i was wandering if i rebooted or "killed" the program would it mess it up and is there any linux gui interfaces that work with linux i checked freshmeat but the few on there don't seem to work

If you shut it using Ctrl - c, it should save the work unit where it is and when you restart it, hopefully it will start where it left off.

There is no GUI client for linux, but there are programs unrelated to folding that display moecules with lots of pretty colors. I'll post back when I can remember the name of one of these.

About the clients- I usually run the clients as a background service, thus invisible, and have them start at boot-time automatically. Some simple shell scripts make it easy to start/stop/change user/or view the status of my clients.

Client type- There are two clients to use for linux that are fast- 3.24 "B" which works with distros that have a newer glibc installed (redhat 9, mandrake 9.x, among some others), though 3.24 doesn't always do SSE very well on every WU with AMD machines. The other is 3.25 beta, which works on most distros except the newest releases. This one does SSE better with AMD's. Both of these clients are as fast as the windows client or very, very close.

You can also fold with the windows client if you use wine. This is not very difficult for most distors. Redhat stopped officially supporting wine as of version 9, though with some tinkering, you can get it installed.

If you have a windows machine on your network, you can configure samba so that parts of your linux filesystem are shared across the network. That way, apllications like EM3 can read the progress of your linux machine(s) (and you can also transfer files between your linux and windows machines). There are also some programs similar to EM3 that work in linux. KDfold and foldmonitor come to mind, though I think KDfold will require old libraries to be installed if you run it on a newer distro.

ok thanks i got the client to work I donn't know much of what it is doing but it is about frame 160 out of 400 i think.

You've got a tinker unit that it's folding right now, the most points and fastest folding times come from folding gromacs. I'm not sure if you can use the -advmethods and -forceasm flags with the Linux client or if thats a windows thing. Someone will post to let you know.

Back