• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
W

William

I think I am stretching it here, but am not too sure. I have a 250W psu and am running the following.

Duron 700 on an MSI K7T Turbo-R
Fop 38 with Delta averaging 5400RPM
24x CDROM Drive
Floppy Drive
IBM 8gb Hard Drive

This computer freezes every once and a while when installing games and such or moving large files. I was wondering if I need more power. I know it doesn't hurt, but is this ok to run it on this. Unfortunately this is all in a proprietary case from gateway so to upgrade the power means getting a new case :-(.

PS - not sure where this was to go, thought you guys in this section might know the best. Dan, if you move this, sorry for taking up some of your time. This is that Gray area post.

It sounds like you are being affected by the "686 bug". You can go to VIAHARDWARE.COM and download the 4in1 4.31 drivers to fix it. I installed them and they work great. No more lock ups or corrupted files.

Fiz

Fiz (May 18, 2001 10:15 p.m.):
It sounds like you are being affected by the "686 bug". You can go to VIAHARDWARE.COM and download the 4in1 4.31 drivers to fix it. I installed them and they work great. No more lock ups or corrupted files.

Fiz

thanks for the tip, going to try this right now.

well, that didn't fix the prob. I checked again, and the psu is 200W not 250W like I had thought. I am pretty sure that I need to get a better PSU. What do yal think. BTW, it froze running the drives benchmark in the sandra suite.

yeah. it could be from straining the PSU and getting dirty power, but normally if your super straining the PSU it will reset the computer.

I'm not an old pro(old yes,pro no) but I think your'e right. Sounds like a lack of power since it locks while benching the drives. Game installations usually benchmark the sytem to see if it's up to snuff also. After looking in the CPU database at othe Celeron 667 OC's I would think your VCore is okay at 1.7v.
You could check for compatible replacement PSU's with the manufacturer. I would think that most ATX PSUs would work although you may have to get creative with the installation, maybe even upgrade to a 2nd external PSU.
I bet Tim could tell you if the lockups are due to lack of power.
Good luck.

Slake (May 18, 2001 11:57 p.m.):
I'm not an old pro(old yes,pro no) but I think your'e right. Sounds like a lack of power since it locks while benching the drives. Game installations usually benchmark the sytem to see if it's up to snuff also. After looking in the CPU database at othe Celeron 667 OC's I would think your VCore is okay at 1.7v.
You could check for compatible replacement PSU's with the manufacturer. I would think that most ATX PSUs would work although you may have to get creative with the installation, maybe even upgrade to a 2nd external PSU.
I bet Tim could tell you if the lockups are due to lack of power.
Good luck.

this isn't about my celey, its abot the duron system above. My celey is just prim and happy right now. Going to get a new case tomorrow I think. And it is freezing during a large game install. I think this is the best bet I have seen, using both the cdrom and hard drive heavily at the same time.

ireally recommend u go for th globalwin 802 case.it's one of the best cases around but it comes without the psu so u can pick up a cheap 300watter (since u don't have too many power sucking peripherials) if u plan to get more peipherials or do the voltage mod on ur mobo then u should go for a 350w one or higher if u got the $.

well none of this has worked. Went out and got a $60 midtower case with a 300W psu, not a bad case at all. Still freezes during periodic installs. Going to test some heat things now and see, but I doubt it. Even on an unlapped fop38, this duron 700 should and would be fine. Using the shack goo, so i got some pretty good stuff.

it's a long shot, but try swapping the psu connectors around a bit. my 300w suddenly decided it didn't like having the hdd on the same set of connectors as a couple of fans.. i got lost data, bad sectors and random crashes with my oc'd duron 600. i just moved all the fans to one set of connectors, and the hdd and cd-rom to another, and now everything's fine. try it.. don't have much to lose.

well, nothing so far. I have just bought a new cd-rom and it still freezes on the install of this game, Tropico. Formated and reinstalled and nothing. It installed fine on my own computer, and it is generally older. I have the virus protection in Bios turned off. It freezes on installing other stuff too, so I am starting to lean slightly to hard drive, but still not sure. maybe something with the ide bus on the mobo. Thoughts?

mrpcman (May 20, 2001 10:12 p.m.):
go get a good high quality sparkle PSU.

i would, but they are pretty expensive, oh, for it to be summer so i would be working. I don't think power is the problem anymore, as everything is running like it should, the delta is now spinning 7300 RPM :) and all. Looking at the HD now.

u know i was having the same problem and was trying everything. it turned out to be the bearings in my harddrive seizing up. so i dumped my old klunker quantum fireball and got a nice new hardrive. havent had any problems since

Slake (May 21, 2001 03:48 p.m.):
Sorry for the cpu mix-up. I hope the new drive fixes the problem. I'm saving for a new one too.

well i hope so too. Going to try a different 4gb hd i have and see what happens. I think I am going tto need a new one, doh!

ok, now time to brainstorm. I have tried a different hard drive and this blasted game still freezes on the install. I will reinterate that I have no troubles installing it on my system. I have no clue what is causing it. Virus protection in the bios has been disabled. There is no reason for this to happen. This only happens during large file operations. I can run F@H fine, and the Sandra cpu benchmark utility, so temps don't sound like the problem. They run at like 40 in the bios and my delta is now spinning at around 7300RPM. What is going on here? I have never seen something like this before.

Back