• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiation Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
My mom was asking me all these questions about radiation and I truly didn't know, so I figured I would ask. She was wondering if I have too much radiation in my room. I have 2 computers on most of the time, sometimes the monitors are off, sometimes they aren't, then I have a small tv, stereo and a laptop thats on 24/7. Is that too much? Could it be hurting me in some way? Thanks.

Matt

Depends on what kind of radiation your talking about.
Unless your hiding some uranium behind the stack of nudie magazines in the closet, I dont think your have anything to worry about.(except getting caught with the magazines of course)

Even older crt's really didnt give off enough harmful radiation to hurt anybody.

i would imagine you would probablyl go deaf from the constant noise of the fans :)

Just hang some strips of yellow paper everywhere, and tell her it's what they use to test for low level leakage in power plants, say that if it turns blue then you've got a problem, otherwise it's okay :D Don't let your bro/sis on it if if they're a joker, otherwise one day your mother will draw your attention to all the blue strips hanging up and demand you get rid of everything :D

Road Warrior

RoadWarrior said:
Just hang some strips of yellow paper everywhere, and tell her it's what they use to test for low level leakage in power plants, say that if it turns blue then you've got a problem, otherwise it's okay :D Don't let your bro/sis on it if if they're a joker, otherwise one day your mother will draw your attention to all the blue strips hanging up and demand you get rid of everything :D

Road Warrior

ROFL:D thats too funny.

yea i don't think you are being hurt, and i never heard of computers giving off radiation, only crts, and if they no longer give off radiation like bluestreakLB said, then i think you will be fine:D

Thanks, you guys know how paranoid mothers can be. Just wanted to get other opinions on this.

Matt

I was in the Nuclear Navy on board the aircraft carrier Enterprise (CVAN65). I came to love radiation. After all, I have saved hundreds of dollars on batteries and flashlights! :D

There is a good grandma way of helping this radiation issue. Keep a cactus in that room close to the source (computer box/monitor). Cactus is supposed to have this absorbing property. Besides it just looks good and brings life to the dangeon.;) I know firsthand because I have one.

PS. I was 100% serious about what I just said.

Beg / Borrow / Steal one of those radiation monitors that people working in nuclear power plants are required to wear... Then wear one for a day, and see if it changes colour at all.

Blueacid said:
Beg / Borrow / Steal one of those radiation monitors that people working in nuclear power plants are required to wear... Then wear one for a day, and see if it changes colour at all.

A TLD(ThermoLuminescence Dosimetry) Badge.

Anyways, I'm sure you get more radiation from the sun when you go outside than you can get from a computer. I know I get more radiation from the sun than I get from actually working in a Nuclear Power Facility. (Yes I work in one :cool: )

You shouldn't have to worry about any 'normal' radiation (Alpha, Beta, Gamma), though Electromagnetic Radiation is a totaly different thing. You should be safe, but if you want to, tell your mom that I don't know of any cheap ways to test for excessive EMR :D :D

JigPu

JigPu said:
You shouldn't have to worry about any 'normal' radiation (Alpha, Beta, Gamma), though Electromagnetic Radiation is a totaly different thing. You should be safe, but if you want to, tell your mom that I don't know of any cheap ways to test for excessive EMR :D :D

JigPu

There is a big difference between electromagnetic fields and electromagnetic radiation. The former is the one thought to cause cancer, and are emitted in varying intensities by all electrical gear. I think the cancer thing is a bunch of poppy-****. The latter is relativly harmless, at least the kind you'll be exposed to here on Earth. Most of the nastys, like UV, are filtered by the atmosphere.

You are so inundated with electromagnetic radiation it's not even funny. Light, radio waves, and infared are all electromagnetic. Hell, even your TV remote emits EM waves.

baltoos said:
Don't take any chances! Get yourself an AFDB! This will protect your brain from any possible harmful radiation from your computer, not to mention shielding your brain from most electromagnetic psychotronic mind control carriers. It's CHEAP insurance!! -Dave
:D :D :D

ROFL
That was the funniest thing! :beer: :beer:

UberBlue said:
There is a big difference between electromagnetic fields and electromagnetic radiation. The former is the one thought to cause cancer, and are emitted in varying intensities by all electrical gear. I think the cancer thing is a bunch of poppy-****. The latter is relativly harmless, at least the kind you'll be exposed to here on Earth. Most of the nastys, like UV, are filtered by the atmosphere.

You are so inundated with electromagnetic radiation it's not even funny. Light, radio waves, and infared are all electromagnetic. Hell, even your TV remote emits EM waves.
An electromagnetic field is a form of electromagnetic radiation. Power running through wires creates electromagnetic fields, and these fields radiate outward. This is the basis of radio. A transmitter pushes current through a wire (antenna) and the field it creates radiates outward at the frequency of the transmission. When the field reaches another antenna, it induces a current into it, and goes into the reciever.

Most natural sources of EM radiation is filtered out by the atmosphere. However, a source of EMR created by his computers probably wouldn't be for a little distance :D

JigPu

JigPu said:

An electromagnetic field is a form of electromagnetic radiation. Power running through wires creates electromagnetic fields, and these fields radiate outward. This is the basis of radio. A transmitter pushes current through a wire (antenna) and the field it creates radiates outward at the frequency of the transmission. When the field reaches another antenna, it induces a current into it, and goes into the reciever.

Most natural sources of EM radiation is filtered out by the atmosphere. However, a source of EMR created by his computers probably wouldn't be for a little distance

JigPu

There being a big difference was a bit of an overstatement. What you said is correct, but they are not the same thing. nothing personal, I just like a good debate. :)

EM fields can also be called static EM fields or electrostatic fields and have the potential to radiate into space. A conductor with a pure DC current running through it will have an EM field that does not radiate into space. A static EM field.

However, a conductor with an AC current will have a field that expands and falls back on itself in direct relation to the AC frequency. If the field can't fall back on itself before another field is generated behind it (same polarity) the old field is forced to radiate into space. The higher the frequency, the easier this happens, and also why it takes alot of power to generate low frequency (60Hz) EM radiation. Our PC's don't have nearly enough power (we'd need hundreds of thousands of watts) to generate EM radiation at 60Hz

The main health hazards from EM radiation we are going to encounter in our everyday lives, unless you bypass the intelocks on your microwave, is nucleotide damage from UVB.

Back