• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help building a computer with the following specs..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

2.5 - 3.3 ghz cpu (overclocked) + motherboard
512 MB ram
120 gig hard drive
DVD-ROM / CD-RW combo (with headphone jack)
3.5 floppy drive (are these needed these days?)
good graphics card and sound card
mouse
case

This is for a friend and I was wondering if this was possible for less then $600...thanks a ton :D

Sure it is just watch the sales, if you can buy the parts over a few weeks , just buying things when they are on special you should have no problem.

I dont think its possible. Even with sale items. A mobo/2.6 combo is going to run over 300.00. Then add 512 2700 memory another 100.00 at least and a decent vid card another 100.00. Your at 500.00 and havent even started looking at HDD and Opticals

well this is what I got......
barton 2500+
buffolo 3200 with winbond(2x256)
nf7 non s
wd 120gig with 8megs cache
radeon 9100
case with 300watt psu
10$mouse
liteon black dvd/cdRW
floppy I WILL NEVER BUY ONE AGAIN!...hehe I am gunna use an old one:D

all together this will be $570 WOOT!(including shipping and an aftermarket sk7 and sunon fan)
what do you guys think?

It doesnt look too bad but i really do think that with a system like that you wont get away with using the cheap 300w PSU that comes with the case. You shoud look to be getting a fortron or one of the antec range especially if you are looking to be overclocking. Somebody posted this in the folding channel, its a very good quality PSU, made by the people that make the antec PSU's so basically its an unbadged antec PSU at an excellent price.

I only plan to do 10x200...dont you think on that psu it would be possible?

treepop said:
I only plan to do 10x200...dont you think on that psu it would be possible?

Well it is possible, but i would not like the chances of it, cheap generic PSU's are not exactly reliable and with a 2GHz plus system its going to be putting a fair bit of load on a cheap 300w PSU. If i was a betting man i wouldnt bet on the system reaching 2GHz on that PSU and if it does i doubt it will be stable, as the voltages would probably be all over the place.

Remember a decent quality PSU is the backbone to a good stable OC, more often than not changing out the PSU will help you increase the OC. Where not talking a great deal for a half decent PSu here and its well worth it in the long run. You have $30 left in in your budget if i were you I would definatly use it for a good PSU, you may even be able to find a case without a PSU and save some money there to put towards the PSU. :)

yeah I suppose a fortron 350 with a cheaper case without a psu is what I will do......thanks for the kick in the pant ;)

sure man go for it captain slug....your the man when it comes to this sorta thing.....the guy hasn't given me the go ahead yet....so use your magic slug powers WOOHOOO!!!:D

Captain Slug is always very nice about making parts lists from Newegg. Im sure he could spec you out a nice system for that price range. (Just stick with the 2.4c and 350W Sparkle power supply Slug)

Black & Blue machine

Barton 2500+ 333mhz FSB
Radeon 9600 128mb DDR
Shuttle KT333CF motherboard
512mb PC2700 DDR
WD 80gb 8mb cache HDD
Sony CDRW/DVD Combo Drive
Black keyboard and optical mouse
Black Windowed case
Sparkle 350w PSU
Aerocool 80mm copper heatsink (plus free blue LED fan)
Enermax adjustable blue 80mm fan (put on heatsink for adjustable OC cooling)

Total = $540 + shipping

Captain Slug is god with this kind of stuff.

Obey his words.

I would to, if I could stop spending money on my fricken aquariums. I swear to god every tiem I turn around I'm having to drop some major deniro on my fish to cure something, fix something, or something.

GREAT JOB SLUG!....I was thinking of maybe going 200fsb....will that be possible?

Back