• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slackware 9.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cowboy Shane

Slack 9.1 has been released, and the ISOs are available through BitTorrent.

Disk 1
Disk 2

It even comes with a new apt like tool called swaret that makes keeping the system up to date simple, or so I'm told. :D

Good luck to all as I've been getting about 60k/s off bittorrent myself. Just don't forget to poke a hole in your firewall to let it upload.

Edit: I was able to get into the ftp server listed later in the thread, and the install disk ISO can be found here.

Edit2: This is BitTorrent, so the more of you downloading, the quicker I can get it. Put those uber-overclocked computers to use and help me get my ISOs now! :D

(don't forget to leave the client open for a bit after getting the file to help other people out)

Last edited:
I really want to try out Slack 9.1, but how do I download BitTorrent for Mandrake 9.1? I downloaded the "python source: tar.gz" from the website, but it doesn't work. Another option that could work I suppose, is downloading 9.0 and then downloading swaret and updating that way.

You can try the RPM versions. You will have to look around a bit to find them, but I found the following two from a fairly quick mirror of the Mandrake Cooker:
BitTorrent 3.2
BitTorrent GUI

If you have urpmi configured, then you can probably also get it through that.

I cannot verify if the following is true or not, but in order to get BitTorrent to work with your browser:
In order to make BitTorrent work with your browser, add the following lines in /etc/mozpluggerrc

application/x-bittorrent: torrent : Bit Torrent File
exits nokill: btdownloadgui.py "$file"

If nothing else, you can just use swaret to upgrade an older version to Slck-Current, which would be 9.1 right now.

Good luck.

ftp://ftp.oranged.to/ claims to have the Slack 9.1 ISOs available, but they are getting slammed so I couldn't check.

Note to mods: I am a little wary of posting to an FTP site I can't check personally, but I know a lot of people want Slack and BitTorrent can be a pain in some situations. If it turns out they have not so good stuff there as well, then I will remove the link as soon as I am aware of it. As always, mods are free to edit this as they see fit with no hard feelings on my part.

Edit: I got in, and it looks like all that is there is Slackware, so I see no problem.

Last edited:
I was wondering if swaret is similar to apt. Is it for normal program download/install or just updating slackware? If it does download programs, does it check dependencies?

Looks like swaret is similar to apt, it resolves dependencies, updates you, etc etc.

I think I might throw slack on a box and see how it goes, I left it a while ago because I was tired of no package management.

Constantinos said:
Does this vers of Slack have a kernal already on ISO or will you have to get and compile your own after installation?

Like all versions of Slackware, it will come with a default kernel, but it is always a good idea to compile your own after you get everything installed.

Back