• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU heatsink mounting problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yakbak

Hi,

I recently obtained a Geforce 4 Ti4200, but the original heatsink's two plastic clips were lost by the original owner. Right now, I have tried to secure the heatsink and fan by tying plastic bands through the mounting holes, but I don't believe its making proper contact to the GPU.

I have no thermal epoxy or thermal tape at hand, and I'm not sure if it's possible to screw the heatsink and fan down with metal screws, so I need your help on what I can do about this situation...

Thanks in advance!

I don't have a digital camera, but it looks exactly like this card, only with a DVI port (but that doesn't matter):

gainward_1.jpg

The heatsink is exactly like the one in the picture, only I do NOT have the 2 plastic push thru clips in the corners.

get some screws that will fit in the holes,nuts,and plastic washers.put the heatsink on,put a screw in each hole of the
HS matching the holes on the card,next put a washer on each screw on the backside of the card,then tighten the nut on each
screw.if you can get plastic screws.

Zip ties, take one zip tie and put it through hole in the HS and through the hole in the card (where the plastic clips would go), take the other sip tie and loop the first into the square part of the zip tie (the part that "clicks") then pull it as tight as you can, cut off any remaining plastic and you have a nice little setup.

I wish i had my digi on me to show you what it looks like but my g/f borrowed it.

Leme know if that post didnt make sence, it's hard to explain but very easy to visualize in my head, and i've done it so...i konw it works great.

I did use zipties...

When I ran 3dMark03, it ran slow, but it ran. When I did 01, I got to test 15, then I got a blue screen mentioning something about a KMODE error...I figured it was my poor job on mounting the heatsink.

I guess you could always bond your heatsink onto your video card using either thermal epoxy or super-glue. Remember that when using super-glue only use it on the four corners, not on the core.

Evil_Eye said:
I guess you could always bond your heatsink onto your video card using either thermal epoxy or super-glue. Remember that when using super-glue only use it on the four corners, not on the core.

I dont like that method on this appliaction because the H/S is hanging thus there isnt enough pressure.

When I was mounting a GPU waterblock on my Ti4200 I bought 2 smallest bolts I could find, 2 nuts, 2 nylon washers. And the thing held very tight together (considering the weight of the heatsink and houses). I had to put a thread on the holes in the videocard though, because even with the smalles bolt the diameter of the existing hole was insuficient.

PC. You could always go to your local PCcompshop and ask them if they would have those plastic thingies with springs in their bolts jarr.

RedArmy said:
When I was mounting a GPU waterblock on my Ti4200 I bought 2 smallest bolts I could find, 2 nuts, 2 nylon washers. And the thing held very tight together (considering the weight of the heatsink and houses). I had to put a thread on the holes in the videocard though, because even with the smalles bolt the diameter of the existing hole was insuficient.

PC. You could always go to your local PCcompshop and ask them if they would have those plastic thingies with springs in their bolts jarr.

I agree....Or if you have a Comp USA near you a bag of those clips/pins/whatever cost a few bucks correct me if im wrong but i think last time i was in there it was $3 for 10 of them.

I use extra strong epoxy, cover both surface ( GPU and heatsink ), spill little bit of epoxy to PCB board for added strength, and immediately joint them together. Put something heavy on top and let it cure for 24 hours. It will stick forever. I used this method since GF2 era, and got no problem at all.

I use Intel and AMD heatsink.

i just put a waterblock on my sapphire 9600 pro and i used arctic silver adhesive... im thinking of adding zipties just in case....

bluestreakLB - i can visualize what you mean ;)

In my experience when you get a piece of hardware that is missing something that you expected to have, it is usually a broken piece. I would test that card thouroughly and if there is anything wrong with it, get your money back.

Back