• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have 9500pro and wanna watch dvds....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

what do I do.....on the box it says dvd video playback.....I thought this ment it would just work when I put in a dvd...am I wrong...I wanna use the video card for dvd playback....because I am sure it will give me the best quality....or am I wrong?....I am gunna use powerdvd for tonight since it is what I got with my dvd player and my girl is getting restless....please give me some feadback...thanks :D

All that it means is that it can hardware decode dvds, taking work off your cpu. You still need a program to watch them on.

There should have been some software called Multimedia Center that came with your card. If you install that it has a software DVD player much like powerDVD. Just about any modern video card is capable of decoding software DVD.

so would powerdvd be just as good as anything else?....is there a way to make it use more video card and less cpu?...thanks a ton :D

if it is a built by ati card you can use ATI's DVD playback software which i found to be the best. this can not be used on 3rd party cards howerver. I find that power dvd the theater mode (in overlay/clone mode options) does not work correctly, so i switched to windvd. it works with theater mode. (theater mode will display the dvd minimized or windowed on the pc monitor while keeping the secondary display full screen DVD.

J.

Hardware DVD playback isn't really necessary. A 1ghz proc, let alone your 2.3ghz athlon, is more than capable of software-decoding DVD, and the quality isn't any worse.

Damian said:
Hardware DVD playback isn't really necessary. A 1ghz proc, let alone your 2.3ghz athlon, is more than capable of software-decoding DVD, and the quality isn't any worse.

you still have to have hardware dvd decoding. he has a 9500 which has hardware dvd decoding. so what exactly is the point of telling him that?

J.

Damian said:
You don't need hardware decoding to decode dvds.

True, you dont NEED it. But the 9500 Pro (infact, all ATI cards) already have it, heh.

Software decoding, in my experiance, has an ugly image to it

And while DVDs can be software decoded on any modern machine with ease, it dosen't mean I'm WILLING to let it steal CPU cycles from my precious SETI :) I'm still kinda mad that even with hardware acceleration DivX takes up 13% of my CPU time :rolleyes: But it's better than the 96% it does without :eek:

I'm sure it's the same with you folders out there.
JigPu

Unless there have been some radical changes in the DVD decoding of ATI cards thery're more like hardware assisted decoding and not as good as a dedicated DVD decoder card. However, the software DVD decoder by ATI has for several years been considered the best and is very close to a stand alone card. Esp when paired with an ATI graphics card. There should also be several utilities that you can download to adjust the features of the software decoder, which may give you better cpu utilization. Just search DVD decoder and you should find several sites that have utilities for download.

Back