• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TEC Power Supply query

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archangel8

I have two new 15v, 100watt PSU and was wonderign whether anyone has ever combined two PSU's to get more juice, and if so what did you do to isolate the positive side and ensure the ground trace was broken. Also how do you diode isolate the leads to make this work, you know a tutorial with pics woudl be appreciated:)

Alright when did TECs become extreme:)

Phase change, um maybe

Nitrogen, definitely, but

TECS?

Archangel8 said:
Alright when did TECs become extreme :)
When they stopped being made out of water. ;) It's either here or "Cases and Power Supplies". Either was better than water, so I kept it in the cooling section.

I know, I was just foolin with ya:). I meant to post it here, and thanks for the move. I was in somewhat of a rush this morning:)

No prob, but if you've noticed we keep chat-BUMPing this and yet no one else replies. Not a good sign. Anyone???

Yes they have if you want to boost volts then be capful they have the same amperes on PSU. Wire positive of one to the negative of the second one
(This is called series secret)
If you want to boost the amps that the volts are the same on PSU
Wire positive one to positive author
Then wire negative of one to negative author
(This is called a parallel secret)

Yeah I remember reading somewhere on how to do this, and what you just stated brought back some mems, but I need a little more hand holding than that:)

The two PSUs are exactly the same, two closed frame switching power supplies that will be able to fit in two 51/2 bays. The volts are adjustable from 5-15, and I would like to use them in tandem to power up a 226 watt TEC. However, I also have an extra 250watt redundant power supply that I can use for the same purpose if need be, but I would rather feed the TEC its optimal amount of volts. I am reading up on how to set this up, but I am not sure I understand the differences one could see in TEC performance if one or more of the requirements are not met. Also if I am understanding TEC ratings correctly the Qmax is depednant upon the amount of volts and amps you supply the TEC with and consequently the watts.

As I understand it I can break the trace for the ground in the second one, then connect the lead from the second to the first, but I have read that if you do this you must diode isolate the lead of the second PSU. I don't know how to do that, I think I know with my limited electronics knoweldge, but I wanted to make sure. What you just remarked upon is usually a way to get extra juice from batteries, I am not sure it will work with power supplies, but will research fruther on the net.

I was hoping that someone on this board has doen some experimenting with this and is using a 226 TEC can tell me how best to feed this puppy. I was also thinking about utilizing the redundant PSU to feed the 226 for my cpu, and then utilie a lesser TEC to cool the NB. Any suggestions or experience with TECs would be appreciated as this is my first try and utilizing one, and I would rather not fry my cpu and board by making a stupid mistake.

Well... do like this:
parall.jpg

The diodes are good to have. Just buy PHAT ones. Each diode should cope with the MAXIMUM the TEC will draw, otherwize you might kill the diode while balancing the load. I would prefer diodes with a low forward voltage drop to limit losses. Even with the best diodes you're looking at around 0.5 to 0.7V drop across them.

Remember that it will be a pain to balance the load on both powersupplies!!! If they both have really good load regulation it will make things difficult!

So, if you feed the TEC 12V and one PSU doesn't cope with the load it might shut off or burn up.

You don't need to isolate one of the PSU units. They can both be gdounded and bolted to the chassie.

If you were to SERIES connect them, it's another ballgame.

Good luck! :)

Thank you thats what I was looking for and more. Not to pick your brian too much, but I am relatively new to setting up multipole PSU's. If i understand the application correctly, I will be geting an increase in amps, but not in voltage. Going the other route, series, I would be getting increase volts but not amps?

Is there any way to combine PSU's and get both? If not what can I expect the increase in amps to be, 2X6.7 or some variation. On the other side, series, wht can I expect in terms of voltages?

Archangel8 said:
Thank you thats what I was looking for and more. Not to pick your brian too much, but I am relatively new to setting up multipole PSU's. If i understand the application correctly, I will be geting an increase in amps, but not in voltage. Going the other route, series, I would be getting increase volts but not amps?

Is there any way to combine PSU's and get both? If not what can I expect the increase in amps to be, 2X6.7 or some variation. On the other side, series, wht can I expect in terms of voltages?
yes youre right but you might want to put a diode between the to PS to inshure that theres no volt slip

Yeah grabbed a quick education on it thanks. Also aquired a 230 watt redudnant PSU that I may use instead, and use the other 100 watts supplys for two 80 watt tecs for northbirdge and gpu.

Thanks I probably need it . . . I will be happy if I don't fry another board, even if it does turn out to be a failed experiment.

Back