• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i trust the mb temp reading or the ASUS utility?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hannas

Registered
Just wondering if i should trust the temperature reading in the BIOS of my P4C800 deluxe or the reading I get with the ASUS probe utility?

any takers?

They are both reading the same sensor, so the only difference between the two readings is that the probe utility has more load than the bios reading. You can trust either reading just as much as the other - their accuracy should be identical.

Interesting. While I've no reason to doubt IMOG and Ritalin, somehow I doubt Hannas would have asked if he got identical readings.

Your computer is not under load in the bios, there is more load thus different temps when running the OS, but they are the same temperature sensors so the readings they show are from the same place so BOTH temps are correct.

I have a P4C800 and noticed that the BIOS reads: 29\32 for MB\CPU. MBM5 and Asus Probe both report it at 29\82 for the MB\CPU.

Im guessing that the programs are doubling the CPU temp for some reason. The heatsink isn't any warmer in OS than in BIOS.

Im using a P4 2.66C and a Swiftech MXC4000 HS\F, I tried swaping it out for the stock P4 HS\H and it shot upto 48 in BIOS and was hot to the touch.

omaticrail said:
Interesting. While I've no reason to doubt IMOG and Ritalin, somehow I doubt Hannas would have asked if he got identical readings.

I presented an explanation of why the readings would not be identical - there are different amounts of load on the processor in the bios or in windows.

Newbie question - I've seen 3rd party 'probes' that you can place either below the CPU (or between the CPU and HSF), which give a digital display of temp to be read on your case (place LCD monitor in a 5.25" drive bay). Do you think it's safe to use these?

I assume they read accurately but don't they interfere with cooling (esp if between CPU and HSF)?

This is a follow-up to my last post. Before, I had the MB setup on Win98, since then I have installed XP Home and it gives acurate readings in OS. now it reads a solid 32/32 for both MB and CPU with no OCing and an ambient temp of 28.

This confirms to me that the os, or the MB drivers were not registering correctly on Win98.

vejita-sama said:
Newbie question - I've seen 3rd party 'probes' that you can place either below the CPU (or between the CPU and HSF), which give a digital display of temp to be read on your case (place LCD monitor in a 5.25" drive bay). Do you think it's safe to use these?

I assume they read accurately but don't they interfere with cooling (esp if between CPU and HSF)?

These probes are typically placed so that the tip of the probe is touching the side of the CPU die. They can also be placed inside the base of the heatsink over the die area (by drilling), but they should not be placed between the CPU and the heatsink.

Lots of people use them without problems... The best CPU temp reading you are gonna get will basically come from an on-die sensor though.

Back