• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this suggest the cpu has blown?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toms100

Registered
Hi.
recently i got together some old parts and built a pc, onlything is it wont boot...
here is info about that.
Now i have been busy and have only just got round to taking it apart to see whats up, and noticed the following:
cpu.gif

The area where the core of the cpu touches the heat sink seems to have degraded alot. does this suggest that my cpu is gone?
thx for any help!

cheers

Tom

Ummm - Overheating usually manifests as discolouration around the core and on the back. Chipped cores leave small silver marks on the heatsink. Does the CPU itself look alright?

is that a chip in the core I see... right above the words "Athlon", about where "t" is to "n" is, along the upper edge?

because if your core is chipped, it could mean a dead processor.

or I'm just seeing things that are not there.

Can't see much from that angle =x

If you can clean off the goo (use 90% or greater alcohol) and take a closeup (if you can) and post a shot of the back as well.

toms100 said:
i didnt notice any chips...

probably should be no chips then, as you have the CPU in your hand and can see it much more clearly.

just clean all the thermal goop and it's quite easy to see if it is chipped or not.

it was probably just some trace of thermal goop that I mistakenly saw as a possible chip.

nope definatly no chips in the core.
had a pair of scissors and carefully scraped away the yellow crap.
still dont know waht the prob is then :(

P2P said:
you sure your bios is ok?
could be a reason for the no boot
i havetried booting with the reset bios settings jumper on, not sure if that would check bios, but it did nothing to it booting.

Do the lights tuirn on and fans spin up or nothing happens? if nothing happens check all power connectors as well as the front panel connectors.

Here are a couple of things to try. First, strip the rig down to the bare essentials only, cpu, 1 stick of ram, vid card, then see if it will post. Also, shorting/grounding issues can often be resolved by removing the mobo completely from the case and try powering it up, if it then posts, check for possible mounting problems. You also want to double and triple check that the core is fully seated into the socket. I had a no boot problen not too long ago, and it turned out to be the smartfan temp sensor. I put it under the the cpu and routed the wires between the pins, but it kept the chip raised the tiniest bit. Once I removed the sensor, no more problems.

Good Luck man.

i know this sounds stupid, but two nights ago same thing happened to me in one of my "im gonna make a frankenputer pahses".

everything powered on but it never booted.

turned out my ide cable was plugged into my hardrive backwards.
take out your hardrive and see if it starts whirring when yu power on, if not then that yru prob and just flip yur cable.

Back