• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K6-2 400 overclocking info needed. I'm a Newbie, sorry!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thecavkid

Hi,
I'm on a tight budget and was wondering if n e 1 could help...
I have a k6-2 400Mhz processor that I want to overclock to 550Mhz.

To do this I propose to to fit a GlobalWin FDP32 Heatsink/Fan (which I am assured fits sockect 7s despite being designed for socket370) with Artic Silver 2 paste. This little lot should come to £25ish and from my research on the web should allow me to run the speed I want.

Is this right? Or do i need more serious cooling??
My case temp is very low due to two 120mm fans in a push/pull arrangement built into front+top of case.

Any help would be appreciated as everyone else seems to be overclocking newer computers!

Thanx
Mark

the k6's are very hard chips to overclock as they run so hot, most people only get 50mhz or so, if your willing to go the expense of some good cooling, so a couple of intake and exhaust fans plus a good hs/f then you may get up to 100mhz but it is not certain. I would save you money for if you buy a new system

Thanx, I just posted another bit to the same effect above.
Ahh well, just guess I'll have to look at me finances,
thanx for the (extremely!) prompt reply!
Mark

i got 400@475(4.5*105 2.6v) on gigabyte ga-5aa mobo
er.... it did get hot...but it was VERY stable
but i use my own cooling systems...
the total didn't cost me more than 10$
:O)
if u r interested i can give u detals on the cooling system with pics.
but i'm currently running 400@460(4*115 2.4v) .. this setting is MUCH FASTER, SMOOTHER and COOLER than the one above.....
thanx

I've heard that the K6-2's are not very good candidates for overclocking. I've had good results with the K6III's, a 350 @ 450MHz and a K6III+ 450 @ 616MHz. I've used the FIC VA503+ motherboard and am satisfied with the results.
I would say to go for it, see what you can get. I've used the FOP32 from the socket A with no problems.

Up the voltage, you should be good to 2.7v (unless you have a "+" series chip, their default voltage is 2.1, so be a bit more conservative). Remember more voltage equals more heat, keep an eye on the temps!

One other thing, on the later K6 line of CPU's, AMD reworked the chip to recognize the 2X multiplier as 6x, giving you more options that you may be able to take advantage of.

Keep in mind that the components for the socket A platform have dropped in price to the point that it may be a better investment to go with a new motherboard / cpu than throw money at the aging socket 7 platform. Without too much trouble, you can pick up a new motherboard for less than $80.00 and a DURON processor in the $50.00 range and be set to upgrade all the way to 1G and beyond

Good Luck!

Hmm.. The Va 503+ is a pile of ****.. even though I got my Amd K6-2 350 to run stable at 500 with an unknown global win HSF (has a fop38 sink but a 4800RPM fan) anyway.. the board is a pile of **** though.. VIA is a pile of **** also.. dont bother overclocking it.. just go and upgrade.. aint worth the hassel.... and as far as K6-2's not being overclockable I havent seen one yet that I couldnt get atleast 100 Mhz out of ^_^

well my younger brother has a k6-2 333 and i've done a little overclocking and got it to do 400 with out raising the voltage. i'm going to do some overclocking today with my current socket a cooler on his k6. oh and his mobo is a fic pa2013 (the MVP3 chipset). i post my results later if people are interested.

i got 400@500(5*100 2.8v) today, VERY stable, VERY hot
i think i'll stay with 400@460(4*115 2.4v).... it is still faster

er.. i forgot to ask......... how do i find out if my processor (K6-2 400) is a "+" series one?
its def. voltage is 2.2v and core voltage is 3.3v

also what is the difference between the "+" ones and the others?

I had a K6-2 333@475 2.8v stable. To do this I had to cut the metal cap off of the top of the processor and mount a heatsink directly to the core. Your chip is not a + if it is 2.2v. The + chips run at a default of 2.0v and overclock very nicely if you can call it overclocking without raising the voltage. My 3+ did 612 at the default 2.0v and my 2+ did 2.1v at 600. Good chips if you can find one cheap.

I got my AMD K6-2 400 only to 428. It was on a old
Biostar. I had to mess with the dip switch and voltage
jumpers. (pain in the butt!!!)

I had a k6-3 400 and I got it to 500 using a gw fop-32. I used both a Gigabyte Ga-5AX mobo and the fic pa 2013. Didn't improve much speed though. It ran hot, barely able to cool it off.

Whoa, seems like I've opened a whole can of worms!
Just gonna try a few experiments with a very big fan I found in my dads garage ( :p ). Cheers to matey-boy about popping the cap off tip. I was told to get any decent speed I'd have to do that, even tho I'm not sure if I'm brave enuf yet! So I'll let you know how it goes! Does anyone know about tips for taking the cap off?
Thanx
Mark

P.s. Thanx for all the help, It's great to have constructive help rather than the "har-har - ur thick as sh*t!" responses I seem to get at other places.

first, i had no probs at 2.8vcore on my K6-2 450
i could easily get 112fsb 5x 2.8v for 560mhz (using PC133 ram)

the cap does come off.
it isn't hard, but you have to gently work around the corners for awhile.
seems theres some grey "epoxy"? type substance in there.
no biggie tho, and no damage.. just take it easy. be patient.

any cooler will work on socket 7 just about. the FOP38 is a good one.
the heat will be handled by a cooler such as that, no worries.

worst case scenario, you pop the cap, raise core to 2.8 and have fsb of 112
if you get lucky, you can get a 4.5x multiplier out of it.

i doubt that even using watercooling you'd get higher.
but, worth a try for 5x multiplier.
i don't believe a higher fsb than 112 is gonna be happening tho.

good luck! and use thermal goop! sparingly!!!

one more thing, make sure you have "die to hsk" contact!
removing the cap removes some of the thickness, not much, but be safe and check it.

pauldogg (Jun 19, 2001 01:04 p.m.):
hold on a second. i had a faulty k6-2 500 and i took the top off and proccessor was attached to to the "cap" look at the pics i attached.

Looks to me... like ya got that chip so hot, it spot welded itself to the aluminum cap bro.... probably why it was dead in the first place.

that is not a realistic representation of what to expect.
the stuff surrounding the die, the grey epoxy i had mentioned....
well, on your cap, looks like it was scorched off!!!!
i had run mine hot for some time too... i guess not that hot tho.

Back