• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

smallest psu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SysCrusher

Where can i find the smallest psu? I plan on modding it to run all my fans and plug my water pump in. Needs to be small and i mean small. Steel enclosure too.

well...it appears that most of those are around 60w. unless you're going to power a mini-itx system with it, you're going to need something bigger than that.

Problem with that is, size is relative. You're probably going to always get te same cubic inch size with the PSU. but, you can get a 1U rackmount PSU, which usually supply about 200w. They're about 1/2 the heigth of a normal PSU, but they are longer in order to fit the components. This will power almost anything you give it, providing you only have a minimum system...single HDD, single optical, single floppy, 1CPU, 1 stick memory, and 0 expansion slots. You might be able to get away with adding a low-end graphics card, but that would be pushing it.

Anyway, if you find a PSU that you want to use, but it's a liiiiiitle bit too big, just hack it up. click the link in my sig (dead flatbed scanner) and see how I did it. All I did to make the PSU fit was take off the top and cut about 1/2" off the sides...I also repositioned the fan, which was an 80mm.

If you're really daring, you can even rid yourself of the metal casing entirely.....though, I wouldn't recommend that, since it helps to ground the system, heh. As long as you have one of the mobo screws attached to the ground of the PSU, you should be good (you will notice that there will be a wire going from the PSU case to the outlet ground, the fact that the PSU case thouches the rest of the case keeps all of the components grounded)

You could probably build a tiny regulated PSU that would put out cleaner power and take up much less space...

Or... rip the guts out of the smallest high-amp switcher you see and put it in whatever box you can cram them in. Add adequate cooling and you're in style ^_^.

Thanks guys! I ended up with an ITX psu. Now it's just a matter of where to mount the thing. The res and psu, bottom or top. Since those will take up more space. The rad will go in the top above the psu.

My res I thought of taking some two flat pieces of acrylic(sp?) and two pieces of round acrylic tubes. One tube atleast half as smaller then the other. Run a bubble tube light down through the middle tube and afix them to the flat pieces. The bigger tube will cover it all. So the water will surround the bubble light giving it the appearance it's submerged when it's not.

kind of like ( o )
^
bubble light in the middle tube. water surrounds the whole thing.

Would that look cool?

I know that might take up space. So res at bottom and psu at top? Psu at bottom and res at top? Res probably look better at the bottom looking through a window.

This project will probably take me six months or more. lol After everything is fitting just as i like it. Case gets torn apart again and taken to the chromers shop.

Back