• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best specs to overclock?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Insthink

After checking out stuff, i decided to build a new system, but I want it to be easly overclockable.

Amd Tbird 1333ghz 266fsb
Crucial ram, 256mb DDR PC2100 non-ecc
Antic tower SX-1030 with 4 80MM fans, 2 in front, 2 in back
Sanyo Denki 56CFM fan mounted on a FOP-38 from Global Win heat sink for CPU .. woot!
Some artic silver II on the CPU
GeForce3 DLX

Now I dont know which mobo to chose between,
MSI K7 Master (MS-6341)
ECS K7VTA3 DDR 226
Asus A7A226 DDR
Soyo SY-K7ADA
Microstar 6380

I might even buy the Blue Orb for the GeForce3, unless someone tells me its not worth it.

Which Power supply should I get? the stock one from Antec, 300W, i heard its pretty good, or go 350-400W because of my 4 fans in the case?

And of course, the reason of this post, with all the choices done, such as Mobo, how high can it go? =)

this system is mainly for GAMING!

I say dont go with any of those mobos, Go with Abit KT7A or Abit KG7 if you want DDR memmory. Blue orbs are go for video cards unlike all other orbs. As for a power supply i recomment Enermax 431 watt, but if you like Antec then go with the 400 watt.

Also i forgot what the number was but ive heard that Epox makes a good DDR mobo for a pretty decent price.

Unfortunately, the Abit KG7 isnt available at any of the PC shops in my region, sucks doesnt it. Only the mentioned one that I wrote

Why does everyone always recommend the ABIT? My ASUS is able to out perform the ABIT with same CPU and memory.

I have read many benchmarks and ASUS beats ABIT for the 266fbs MB's.
IWill is same or even a little better then the ASUS.

Personally, I love my ASUS A7V133a. I hear the ASUS 266 is great also!

Geobronc (Jun 25, 2001 01:52 p.m.):
Why does everyone always recommend the ABIT? My ASUS is able to out perform the ABIT with same CPU and memory.

People dont recommend the Asus because of all the trouble over the P3V4X, I was one of the unfortunate people who bought this pile of crap and as for Asus Support HA! :p What Support!!
I and many other people also will never buy another Asus mobo again!

I say Yep buy the Abit :)

Well, I can only speak from personal experience. My ASUS A7V is sitting on my workbench and I only use it as a test platform for cards, drives, etc. I am not bashing the A7V, but for overclocking I go with the ABIT KT7. It is just flat easy to learn and to overclock, not to mention you don't have to mess with jumpers and dipswitches. Hope my two cents helps!

I'll never recommend a Asus motherboard to anyone, especially after owning the A7m266, I hate this frieking board so much.. I can't wait to smash it into about 60 pieces when my Abit Kg-7 raid board comes in..Asus really ticked me off by removing the cpu multiplier, and lieing about the ecc compability with this board.. anyone that owns this crappy baord knows excactly what I'm talking about.. Everytime i ever called thier tech department and waited like 45 minutes on hold I always seem to get the retarded reps, they actually know less than most if not all the people helping people on the forums.
System Specs:
Asus A7m266 (Soon to be a Abit KG7-raid!!)
Amd 1.40ghz AYJHA week 18 w/ 266fsb Overclocked to 1553 using 148x10.5 Unlocked L1 (factory unlocked) & L7 bridges @1.89Vcore
Swiftech 462 -A Rev.1 cooler
Enermax 431 watt Power supply
512mb pc2100 ddr sdram (micron) cas2/2t/2t
Ibm Deskstar Gxp60 60 GB hard drive Ata100/ 7200rpm
Windows 2k w/ Sp2 installed
Hercules Prophet II Geforce 2 Ultra w/ Hercules 12.40 drivers
19” Viewsonic PF790
Ls-120 Superdisk
Kenwood 72x cd-rom
Yamaha 16x10x40 cd-rw
Soundblaster Live Platinum 5.1

merlins_wraith (Jun 27, 2001 04:56 p.m.):
Well, I can only speak from personal experience. My ASUS A7V is sitting on my workbench and I only use it as a test platform for cards, drives, etc. I am not bashing the A7V, but for overclocking I go with the ABIT KT7. It is just flat easy to learn and to overclock, not to mention you don't have to mess with jumpers and dipswitches. Hope my two cents helps!

Funny, I just switched from a ABIT BH6 to ASUS A7V133a.
I love this motherboard, and I can overclock successfully as high or higher then others with the ABIT. In fact at the same speed, I read reviews where the ASUS A7V133a BEAT the Abit KT7 with the same setup. Thats why I bought the ASUS!!

If you want SDRAM then the KK266 is probably the best FSB overlcloking motherboard, and a very good value at that. Think they're at like 110, 115 on pricewatch now.

Back