• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to build a 3+ghz, 200+mhz FSB dual Xeon thread...for cheap ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Orgy said:
The hell are the Asus System Foundation Drivers anyway?? BTW, it's afd.zip, not afs.zip on the "Easy use easy life" website. :rolleyes: Talk about "Engrish".

Even after installing afd and rebooting (already had IIS installed for ASWM), Speedfan is still giving me wacky temps, probably same crap I get on MBM if I bothered to run that again.

All these are in Celsius:
Temp1: -3
Temp2: -11
Temp3: -9
Temp1: 127
Temp2: 127
Temp3: 0
Temp: 127
Temp: 127
Local: 45
Remote: 55
HD0: 32
HD1: 30

Only temps that make sense are my HD temps and maybe local, although that's warmer than ASWM has ever reported. Oddly enough ASWM usually reported my CPUs a few degrees below ambient, if that makes any sense.

On the plus side this thing monitors your HD SMART feature which is nifty since I was looking for a freeware utility that did that. But I'd be a lot happier if I could get valid temps.

Now I may be quite happy with my cooling setup, but there's no way I'm getting below freezing temps on my CPUs with passive cooling!

check this thread out:

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61845&highlight=speedfan

Oh sweet.

Would a Dual Nocana 3.6ghz system with 2x512 6800ultras in SLI be faster than a Athon FX 55 with 2x512 6800ultras?

Faster in a gaming sense.

No..And it is a waste to get 2x 512 cards as there performance is about 1 to 4 fps better then a 256 meg card.

Hi all,

I'm cvidler, admin over at www.datamine.tk

Nice to see my site referenced a few times. But for the best ASUS + Xeon info head on over and browse through the forums.

I run two PC-DL systems.

- Dual 3.06 @ 3.8 800FSB :) watercooled.
- Dual 2.4LV @ 3.4 800FSB aircooled.

Both great systems, that'll last me until dual core Xeons are available.

I recently converted a mate from an A64 3000+ to dual 3.06's on a NCCH-DL, he's promising to have my children :eek:.

Two really is better than one.

data_mine said:
Hi all,

I'm cvidler, admin over at www.datamine.tk

Nice to see my site referenced a few times. But for the best ASUS + Xeon info head on over and browse through the forums.

I run two PC-DL systems.

- Dual 3.06 @ 3.8 800FSB :) watercooled.
- Dual 2.4LV @ 3.4 800FSB aircooled.

Both great systems, that'll last me until dual core Xeons are available.

I recently converted a mate from an A64 3000+ to dual 3.06's on a NCCH-DL, he's promising to have my children :eek:.

Two really is better than one.

and THANK YOU! for providing all the great information on your website!!!

and WELCOME TO OUR FORUMS!!!

after seeing some benchmarks, Intel (or AMD) will have to come out with more than dual core (or at least a higher clock speed) to induce me to switch from the currently very powerful dual Xeon setup...

NEW info on where to get M0 Stepping 2.4ghz Xeons that do 3.4+ghz:

i picked up some SL73L's (M0 stepping) chips for $290 from this website:

http://starpcexcess.com/new_page_2.htm

they do 3.52ghz, 100% prime95 stable with the 1.6v pin mod...

very nice chips, and about as fast as dual 3.7ghz nocona's

***EDIT: be careful with this company; they appear to be a branch of this company:

http://www.starmicro.net/about.aspx?WebID=421fa493-abd3-4018-8abc-b876aa3f3966

that has terrible reseller ratings:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller3802-p3-s1-d1.html

***Note, that I did receive one SL73L Xeon that was not stable at stock speeds and voltages; I confirmed this by using only that cpu in the main CPU-0 socket (the other cpu was fine). The next day I was able to exchange for a working SL73L Xeon and I didn't have to pay anything; however, I was able to drive to them, as it's only a 40 minute drive for me.

Last edited:
There is no advertising of items outside of our classifieds and...no links to personal ebay auctions.

Please take some time read our classifeds rules. krag, forums moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
krag said:
I'm lookin' to put these coolermasters on my PC-DL

Cooler Master E3W-NPTXS-04 Xeon Socket 604 Heat Pipe

Can you put Sanyo Denki 80mm fans on them like the 01 version listed in the top of this thread?

you can put 80mm fans on the 01 coolermaster, just like the 04 version...but i don't think you can use the 04 coolermaster with the pc-dl...

the 04 version is meant for boards that accept nocona style heat sinks and the 01 version is meant for boards that accept prestonia style heat sinks...

Thansk dusty, I was concerned about that too. I just went back and looked at the article and this is his hardware setup.

General Hardware / Environment Setup Processors: 2 x Intel Xeon Processors 3.4GHz/800FSB/512k
Heatsink: 2 x E3W-NPTXS-04 Heat Pipes
Memory: 4 x 512MB Crucial PC3200 ECC Modules
Motherboard: Asus PC-DL, BIOS Version 1005 June 02, 2004
Graphics Card: Matrox P750 64MB AGP 8x
Hard Disk: 4 x IBM 80GB - 7200RPM 2MB Buffer ATA100
Computer Enclosure: Cooler Master ATC S4000 SX-1 Server Case
Power Supply Unit: Enermax EG651P-VE FM (24P)
Ambient Temp: 28.9C

Do you know that for a fact? I mean, do you have a link? I don't want to get these and it turns out that I cant' use them because of an article typo or hardware revision. :)

krag said:
Thansk dusty, I was concerned about that too. I just went back and looked at the article and this is his hardware setup.

Do you know that for a fact? I mean, do you have a link? I don't want to get these and it turns out that I cant' use them because of an article typo or hardware revision. :)

i don't know this for a fact, since i don't have a pc-dl to try my -04's on...but if you look at the mounting mechanism of both heatsinks, they are very different...the major issues will be getting retention clips that the -04's screw into and making sure the holes are properly spaced on the pc-dl...

with both the ncch-dl and the iwill dh800, retention clips for mounting nocona heat sinks (like the -04s) came with the board...

i doubt you will have those clips with the pc-dl and even if you did, you might not be able to mount the heat sink if the holes aren't properly spaced...

also, check out this thread:

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=449024&highlight=E3WNPTXC04+pcdl#post449024

and specifically, quotes by Fluf:

"2. -01 sink can be used on any Xeon motherboard
3. -04 can only be used on board with "through board retention" like DH-800, NCCH-DL or any other board specefied for 800FSB Noconas."

and

"Correct -04 can't be used on PC-DL. If you where recomended -04 it was because it was forgotten along the line somwhere that it was PC-DL cooling you aimed for..."

Last edited:
Ahh well, good thing I posted my query here before I was lead to the slaughter by the bogus article I linked to. Anyone got a "cheap" link to the swiftech copper base HSF?

Just put together one of these setups:
PC-DL Deluxe = 150 from ebay
1.6LV D1's = 120 from anandtech forums
Fortron 550EPS = 95 from newegg
IWT's = ~10 from ebay

Along with the 9800pro, raptor, and gig of TCCD I already had, it's a pretty nice step up from my duron/NF2 setup (which I'm selling to my father in law for 250 to recoup the cost of this new setup :) ).

Another satisfied SMP'er :)

Back