• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for some advice with regards to a CPU to use with a Video Editing rig.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The motherboard seems comparable in price to the MSI board I have after checking Amazon. ASUS is a good brand. It should do but don't spend over $300USD on it. (not sure how that equates to pounds).

I'm only familiar with Final Cut Pro X and Premiere. I don't know how Sony Vegas works.

One thing to keep in mind is the GPU you have is going to have a hard time at higher resolutions because of the smaller amount of memory. Are your videos going to be 1080P or 4K?

Also for the RAM don't buy two separate 16GB kits. Buy a 32GB kit. You want the memory matched up.

The motherboard seems comparable in price to the MSI board I have after checking Amazon. ASUS is a good brand. It should do but don't spend over $300USD on it. (not sure how that equates to pounds).

I'm only familiar with Final Cut Pro X and Premiere. I don't know how Sony Vegas works.

One thing to keep in mind is the GPU you have is going to have a hard time at higher resolutions because of the smaller amount of memory. Are your videos going to be 1080P or 4K?

Also for the RAM don't buy two separate 16GB kits. Buy a 32GB kit. You want the memory matched up.

My videos will mainly be 1080p (perhaps stretching to 2K sometimes). But I do want to start rendering in 4K pretty soon to be honest. There's a lot of things I want to do with it.

Ah okay I never knew that about the RAM, I'll remember that for the future.

My videos will mainly be 1080p (perhaps stretching to 2K sometimes). But I do want to start rendering in 4K pretty soon to be honest. There's a lot of things I want to do with it.

It's cool. I believe it's because the RAM when in different batches can sometimes have the timings slightly different then the others which causes instability. :) I'm sure Earth Dog can explain it better. I just remember it as a rule of thumb.

Since you already have the 780 I'd use it for now. Consider upgrading as you start working at higher resolutions. I'm not sure when the next batch of cards come out but hopefully soon considering the age of the GTX 9X0 cards.

Your system looks good so far. The only thing is if you are at all considering 4k editing you will need a better GPU like NightHawk mentioned. I would use your M.2 card as the card for rendering footage too and your scratch disk (not sure if thats a thing in Vegas since I only use Adobe Premiere). Use your other SSD as your OS disk and then get a MINIMUM of 2 Black Series HDDs in RAID0 for your media drive.

In my new system I have the drives setup the following way:

1x Intel 750 Series PCIe NVMe 1.2TB as system drive
1x Samsung 850 SSD as a dedicated scratch disk and Project file folder
1x Samsung 950 Pro M.2 as my render disk
2x WD Black 6TB in RAID0 for Media
DROBO 5D external RAID for media and project backup since the RAID0 has no redundancy.

Currently my system will render a 2.5 minute long 4k video down to a YouTube H.264 4k version in about 1 minute and 20 seconds. :D Hopefully it will be even quicker with the second Titan X.

Josh

It's cool. I believe it's because the RAM when in different batches can sometimes have the timings slightly different then the others which causes instability. :) I'm sure Earth Dog can explain it better. I just remember it as a rule of thumb.

Since you already have the 780 I'd use it for now. Consider upgrading as you start working at higher resolutions. I'm not sure when the next batch of cards come out but hopefully soon considering the age of the GTX 9X0 cards.

Ah okay then, to be honest if I upgraded my GPU instead of my CPU I would probably end up bottlenecking my system. I will get a good CPU then my next target will be a nice GPU I think.

Your system looks good so far. The only thing is if you are at all considering 4k editing you will need a better GPU like NightHawk mentioned. I would use your M.2 card as the card for rendering footage too and your scratch disk (not sure if thats a thing in Vegas since I only use Adobe Premiere). Use your other SSD as your OS disk and then get a MINIMUM of 2 Black Series HDDs in RAID0 for your media drive.

DROBO 5D external RAID for media and project backup since the RAID0 has no redundancy.

Currently my system will render a 2.5 minute long 4k video down to a YouTube H.264 4k version in about 1 minute and 20 seconds. :D Hopefully it will be even quicker with the second Titan X.

Josh

Woah your system sound really good. So you reckon given my budget that I shouldn't really look for anything above a i7 5930K?

Josh

Also just to ask but have you noticed any problems with the Samsung M.2 SSD?

I just had a look online and apparently they get really really hot. I saw a video of one running at temperatures in the hundreds just from copy pasting files.

For reference here are the results of my cinebench.

CineBench OpenGL.PNG
CineBench OpenGL Ref Match.PNG
CineBench CPU.PNG
CineBench CPU Single Core.PNG
In this last one keep in mind my processor is operating at 3.9GHz at the moment and it doesn't say what I'm running at. Most likely the person with the 3930K has it overclocked more aggressively for the test. I wanted to keep the CPU at a easily achievable clock speed to give you an idea of how a comparable system for you would perform.
CineBench MP Ratio.PNG

View attachment 176866
View attachment 176867
View attachment 176868
View attachment 176869
In this last one keep in mind my processor is operating at 3.9GHz at the moment and it doesn't say what I'm running at. Most likely the person with the 3930K has it overclocked more aggressively for the test. I wanted to keep the CPU at a easily achievable clock speed to give you an idea of how a comparable system for you would perform.
View attachment 176870

I think it's fair to say you have convinced me to go with the I7 5930K. While I would like 5960X I don't think I can justify the cost. Plus I can just overclock the 5930K anyway and make it even better.

View attachment 176866
View attachment 176867
View attachment 176868
View attachment 176869
View attachment 176870

I'm really interested in how your system outperformed mine since I'm using a 5960x @ 4.3Ghz and 64Gb of memory... Maybe a restart is in order and I'll try again.

Josh

I'm really interested in how your system outperformed mine since I'm using a 5960x @ 4.3Ghz and 64Gb of memory... Maybe a restart is in order and I'll try again.

Josh

That is an interesting question indeed. I have no idea. :D By all accounts I think your machine should walk all over mine.

Actually you are using SLI aren't you. That would explain the higher FPS. I'll restart my system and re-run mine to see what the CPU comes out at.

Josh

Actually you are using SLI aren't you. That would explain the higher FPS. I'll restart my system and re-run mine to see what the CPU comes out at.

Josh

Yes I'm using SLI. :) I also have the graphics chips partially overclocked. I'm still working on finding the ceiling for them.

Ahh okay. That makes sense.

The CPU score is higher than yours though which makes sense.

1.jpg 2.JPG 3.JPG

I'll run it again once my second Titan X arrives and I get it piped into my cooling loop! :screwy:

Josh

Ahh okay. That makes sense.

The CPU score is higher than yours though which makes sense.

View attachment 176879View attachment 176880View attachment 176881

I'll run it again once my second Titan X arrives and I get it piped into my cooling loop! :screwy:

Josh
Interesting that your single core speed is lower then mine by 17 points. You had your clock speed at 4.6GHz and mine is at 3.9GHz. I'm not sure how that happened.

When your second Titan arrives you will probably be about 205 FPS score is my guess.

I'd be curious to see if I could get to the upper 190 or 200 FPS range with a third GTX 970 added to the equation. I'd need to upgrade my PSU but it would give me an excuse to step up to a higher end Corsair one.

Last edited:
Mine is actually 4.3Ghz right now. I can't keep 4.6Ghz stable (i'm still pretty new at this OC thing). I am planning on messing with it tonight to see if I can get it back there or higher.

And yes, the single core surprised me too. I'm wondering if it was using the default 3Ghz for that test? I"ll have to look.

Josh

Mine is actually 4.3Ghz right now. I can't keep 4.6Ghz stable (i'm still pretty new at this OC thing). I am planning on messing with it tonight to see if I can get it back there or higher.

And yes, the single core surprised me too. I'm wondering if it was using the default 3Ghz for that test? I"ll have to look.

Josh

4.3GHz is still a 1.3GHz overclock from stock. I think that is impressive. :D I'm by no means an expert like some of the people here. :D

It's possible maybe your processor started to throttle at that point. That would make sense.

Got it to 4.4Ghz and managed a 1702 in CineBench. :D Might have to try for 4.5... but I don't think it will be stable and my voltage is already as high as I would want it with my current cooling system.

Got it to 4.4Ghz and managed a 1702 in CineBench. :D Might have to try for 4.5... but I don't think it will be stable and my voltage is already as high as I would want it with my current cooling system.

Are you running something like the intel extreme tool to test the stability by pushing the system hard. Another thing I have found that gives some burn in testing is encoding video using handbrake and premiere elements. If you have either of those tools and do video editing it is a decent chance a machine is stable if it can encode video for two hours or so without the entire system locking up. Plus if your machine is stable you get a video preferably a blu-ray converted to a MP4 or MKV out of the deal.

So I just ordered my system.

This is what it'll look like,

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/GwN63C

Looking forward to OC'ing the i7 5930K. Just now got the long wait for all the parts.

The RAM arrives tomorrow. And the rest of it in a weeks time.

Nice choice. The 5930K has been an awesome processor. Mine goes as high as 4.7GHz but day to day I keep it around 4GHz to go easy on it. It's still very fast.

The cooler looks like the big brother of my cooler. I love mine so I'm sure yours will do nicely.

The machine looks like it is going to be awesome.

Back