• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for some advice with regards to a CPU to use with a Video Editing rig.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice choice. The 5930K has been an awesome processor. Mine goes as high as 4.7GHz but day to day I keep it around 4GHz to go easy on it. It's still very fast.

The cooler looks like the big brother of my cooler. I love mine so I'm sure yours will do nicely.

The machine looks like it is going to be awesome.

Thanks mate I'm really looking forward to it arriving.

I'm definitely going to do what Johan said here.

When and if you get that system come back and start a thread in the Intel CPU section. We can guide you through the overclock and I think you'll find with sufficient cooling 4.0 only scratches the surface. Turn that kitten into a tiger ha ha

Look forward to overclocking the i7 and pulling some awesome render times out of it. Also looking forward to the Intel 750 as well. I saw a lot of reports about the M.2 Samsung SSD overheating and it has an actual in built throttle system for it. The Intel 750 may be a bit more expensive and slightly smaller but it gets recommendation across the board.

Thanks for all the help with everything. I'm definitely going to stick around for as long as I can. I've kind of been having a rough time recently but I now feel really happy after talking to the nice people here.

This is a great group of people. They are very open about help and assistance. Stick around. :)

Sadly with my board I'd have to pull my wireless to get a PCIe ssd or another graphics card. However I can fit a m.2 ssd in.

I'm debating upgrading my PSU and getting another reference GTX 970 or selling them and getting two GTX 980 TI cards.

This is a great group of people. They are very open about help and assistance. Stick around. :)

Sadly with my board I'd have to pull my wireless to get a PCIe ssd or another graphics card. However I can fit a m.2 ssd in.

I'm debating upgrading my PSU and getting another reference GTX 970 or selling them and getting two GTX 980 TI cards.

I know from my Uncle that GTX 980ti's are really good. He has just the 1 in his system and it knocks the tar out of most of everything he runs. He uses 3DS Max and a lot of other 3D work and he doesn't wait around for it to work. So I reckon 2 of them would be insanely good. I guess it all depends if your PSU can hold out with 2 of the 980 ti's.

Yeah mate I will be hear for the long haul ;)

I know from my Uncle that GTX 980ti's are really good. He has just the 1 in his system and it knocks the tar out of most of everything he runs. He uses 3DS Max and a lot of other 3D work and he doesn't wait around for it to work. So I reckon 2 of them would be insanely good. I guess it all depends if your PSU can hold out with 2 of the 980 ti's.

Yeah mate I will be hear for the long haul ;)

Mine is 750W.

The 970 cards are rated 145 watts each. The GTX 980 TI cards are 250 Watts each. So three GTX 970 Cards is 435W and two GTX 980 TI cards is 500W. I'm wondering is 750W is going to be enough.

hmmm

I've never tried selling stuff on this site. I've always used eBay in the past but they are going down hill. Maybe if I sell my 2012 Mac Mini 2.3GHz Core i7 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Drive and my two GTX 970 Cards I can raise enough funds to buy two GTX 980 TI cards and then go out of pocket for the PSU. That would be sweet. :drool:

Got it to 4.4Ghz and managed a 1702 in CineBench. :D Might have to try for 4.5... but I don't think it will be stable and my voltage is already as high as I would want it with my current cooling system.
I bumped up my 5930K to 4.3GHz and bumped my graphics chips up an additional 5MHz on the core and 15MHz on the memory. These are my results.
CineBench OpenGL2.PNG
CineBench CPU2.PNG
CineBench CPU Single Core2.PNG
CineBench MP Ratio2.PNG

Mine is 750W.

The 970 cards are rated 145 watts each. The GTX 980 TI cards are 250 Watts each. So three GTX 970 Cards is 435W and two GTX 980 TI cards is 500W. I'm wondering is 750W is going to be enough.

hmmm

I've never tried selling stuff on this site. I've always used eBay in the past but they are going down hill. Maybe if I sell my 2012 Mac Mini 2.3GHz Core i7 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Drive and my two GTX 970 Cards I can raise enough funds to buy two GTX 980 TI cards and then go out of pocket for the PSU. That would be sweet. :drool:

Haha you'd certainly have enough if you sold that machine. It might help if you sold your current PSU to add to the budget.

If you shop around you might be able to get the GPU's for cheap.

But like you I'm very unsure about eBay.

I for example was browsing eBay a while back and someone was selling a Xeon E5-2697 V3 for £100 + £10 postage. Didn't have any pictures of it at all. I imagine if you bought that you'd get an empty box.

I haven't looked at the selling area on the forums yet but I will do I reckon. I imagine most people are trustworthy. That online deals area is a good section too.

Honestly between Ebay and Payal the buyer has all the power.

Honestly between Ebay and Payal the buyer has all the power.

They sure do and the fees, the fees. There is the listing fee, the final value fee, the fee for accepting pay pal, the cost to ship the item (have to have it certified and signature required or they lie about it not arriving). By the time it's all said and done I'd get probably 50% of the sale price. It just isn't worth it.

I just bought my second titan x on eBay. Hopefully will be here tomorrow. Crossing my fingers it's okay.

They sure do and the fees, the fees. There is the listing fee, the final value fee, the fee for accepting pay pal, the cost to ship the item (have to have it certified and signature required or they lie about it not arriving). By the time it's all said and done I'd get probably 50% of the sale price. It just isn't worth it.

That's your prerogative. I make money at it.

Back