• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to do a budget build for a friend but not sure how to approach, tips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

So my recent foray into reconfiguring an HP Z400 workstation setup into a gaming desktop proved successful. I pitched this idea to a friend of mine who i build a system for a long time ago. His current system is an Athlon64 x2 5200+ build with i think 4gb of DDR2 and he currently has a Nvidia 450gts GPU. I imagine his system is at a dead end as far as trying to keep current, so lets up the game.

Athlon64 x2 5200+ passmark link http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+64+X2+Dual+Core+5200+

I first looked at ebay to possibly replicate my z400 results and came across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282067206824?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Z400 workstation mobo with 12gb RAM, cooler, and Xeon w3550 (i7-950 equivalent) for $120 (but no real warranty). Seems like a good idea especially considering that it can be upgraded to a hexacore that scores as good as an i7-3770 later on, but it isnt the most current regarding features and i let him know this. So i set out to configure something else that would be affordable for similar performance and i came up with a socket FM2+ build with the excavator Athlon x4 845 and 16gb ram for about $50 more than the ebay deal. Current features like PCI-E 3.0 and USB 3.0 (though i guess PCI-E 3.0 x8 is the same a PCI-E 2.0 x16), but is new and has warranty and he can do payments thru Newegg. Downside to this setup is it seems after this 845, the socket is dead with no upgrade path as far as i can tell. Not really digging going with a Pentium dual core, and im not crazy about i3s either, though i3 might be considered if we can keep mobo/CPU/RAM under $200 as it presents a future upgrade path that the FM2+ setup wouldn't offer. My friend doesn't want a "temporary fix" type of setup, but wants his stuff to last a while.

edit -just did a quick i3-4170 + mobo + 8gb ram config on newegg. $185. I'll let my buddy know about this as an option-

What do you all think? Thanks

Last edited:
What will he be using the system for primarily? What components will he be reusing? To put it another way, is he keeping the PSU, case, hard drive, mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc? Are you only looking to upgrade the CPU/Memory/GPU?

What will he be using the system for primarily? What components will he be reusing? To put it another way, is he keeping the PSU, case, hard drive, mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc? Are you only looking to upgrade the CPU/Memory/GPU?

This will be a gaming machine. I dont remember if his monitor is 1440x900 or 1080p but its going to be 1080p MAX whether now or in the future. Hes got a 500w PSU that will likely get reused, as well as reusing the HDD, case, etc.

Only upgrade he really needs to get back into the swing of things is mobo, ram, CPU, gpu. GPU I've advised for him to go with an RX480 when they are out soon and he'll be set. The mobo, ram, cpu upgrade is what im advising him on at the moment. He might want a different case too though, but thats preference.

What type of psu does he have and how old is it. If he is investing money into new hardware it would be ashamed to kill it with a crappy psu.

What type of psu does he have and how old is it. If he is investing money into new hardware it would be ashamed to kill it with a crappy psu.

Its a Rosewill. I had picked it out for him previously but the specifics about it elude me at the moment. Its been years.

Sounds like its probably time for a new PSU as well...

That aside, the CX430m is just fine; most of the "crap" was with its first revision, and its subsequently had two since then. You can find them for 20$ on sale routinely (MIR of course...)

Sounds like its probably time for a new PSU as well...

That aside, the CX430m is just fine; most of the "crap" was with its first revision, and its subsequently had two since then. You can find them for 20$ on sale routinely (MIR of course...)

Cool.

So.....go with i3?

I'd go i5 if you can hack it. More and more games are REQUIRING quad cores, to which an i3 won't cut it.

Try getting a Core I5 2500k and a good cooler to OC it.
The Core i5 2500k can be had for less than 100$ and its really good still.

Its a Rosewill. I had picked it out for him previously but the specifics about it elude me at the moment. Its been years.
Rosewill made garbage PSUs only "years" ago. Id also get a new PSU. The CX430 is solid for the price.

I'd go i5 if you can hack it. More and more games are REQUIRING quad cores, to which an i3 won't cut it.
I3 has HT which meets the requirements of those games (I.e.. G3258 wont work, but the i3 4170 will). That said, I would still look at an i5 as well. :)

Rosewill made garbage PSUs only "years" ago. Id also get a new PSU. The CX430 is solid for the price.

I3 has HT which meets the requirements of those games (I.e.. G3258 wont work, but the i3 4170 will). That said, I would still look at an i5 as well. :)

I was wondering about that for the i3. Phew lol. Think thats the route i'll tell my friend to go with since it seems he wants to buy new as opposed to used/ebay. I'll tell him about the PSU as well. Was looking to stay at 500w or greater, and a few caught my eye.

This EVGA psu (leaning towards this one for the money)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438016&ignorebbr=1

or maybe some more watts if a GPU/CPU upgrade is in the future that might be a little more power hungry, though the way things are going with TDP its probably not necessary.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014&ignorebbr=1

and especially this raidmax because its modular for not much more. Though im not too sure about Raidmax for power supplies.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152066&ignorebbr=1

Although this raidmax seems to have a pretty decent rep based on the average eggs and number of reviews, but reading through them doesn't give me alot of confidence.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028&ignorebbr=1

Then also looked at other modular/semi modular stuff and rosewill popped up again but the reviews seem very hit or miss like the raidmax above.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182298&ignorebbr=1

Last edited:
Unless something has changed Raidmax are pretty bottom barrel power supplies. I'd stick with evga and corsair at this point. Also, never go by user reviews on newegg, see if you can find a real reviewer review instead of someone that says 'looks good'/plugged it in and works - 5 stars.

If you can't find a real view of a power supply I'd likely skip it.

Depends on the game ED. Some games will NOT run on an i3 without hacking the game. Even then, performance is typically atrocious. Take a look at FC4 for example.

Depends on the game ED. Some games will NOT run on an i3 without hacking the game. Even then, performance is typically atrocious. Take a look at FC4 for example.

I was only really worried about BF1 running on an i3, but videos of Battlefront running with the i3 showing solid results with a 750ti, 960, etc reassure me. Same with RB6: Siege, and it seems everything else he would likely play with my group of friends and me (and at our LAN parties) will run. I5 will definitely come later on though I'm sure.

What other games or game engines have issues with the i3?

Last edited:
It (i3/dual with HT) runs on FC4 without hacking it.

There is a performance hit, but I wouldn't call performance "atrocious" with it in FC4 either: http://www.techspot.com/review/917-far-cry-4-benchmarks/page5.html

Please do not misunderstand me... without a doubt, a native quad would be a better choice if he can afford it. I am saying though that a dual with HT will work fine. Sure there can be performance hits in some titles it will also vary as to how much by title and settings (sometimes none at all).

EDIT:
I was only really worried about BF1 running on an i3, but videos of Battlefront running Battlefront with solid results with a 750ti, 960, etc reassure me. Same with RB6: Siege, and it seems everything else he would likely play with my group of friends and me (and at our LAN parties) will run. I5 will definitely come later on though I'm sure.

What other games or game engines have issues with the i3?
Try looking up the games at techspot and see how they performed on that i3. ;)

Last edited:
Ah, I looked up on that ED, they patched that in to support the i3. There definitely was issues with the i3 when it came out, but all is well on it now apparently. I just remember seeing a video of it, and it just didnt do well at all.

But as it goes, the end user is to decide based on the games he will be playing (which seem to be ok on the i3).

The first quad, the i5 3470 directly above it, is @ 80FPS...there is also a 3570k @ 81FPS...you mentioned a quad with HT...

That corrected, I'm not understanding what you are getting at in your post.

Last edited:
Same here. i3 is better for gaming than i thought. Although i knew it was "good," i always thought a proper quad-core of the i5's caliber or better smashed it in a similar system. Reality is, it isn't as far behind as i thought.

Legit.

Back