• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

butlerchuck

I have a amd athalon 600, pc133 soyo syk7via 128 MEG RAM, VODOO 2, Antec power supply. I had this problem wher I could only boot up every now and then! Then I could not power up at all. I would get the fan and power lights but no bios on the video. I changed out the video, memory, mobo. I Have a power supply tester that syas that my power suppoly is good. I have changed the amd 600 with amd 500 athalon. I still am not able to get post or bios any thing!!!!! I have come to overslockers becuse this is where the cream of the crop lives. You guys now everything that there is about hard ware. Pleae help. I can be reached at [email protected] the best thing would be to post here so that all can see what is being said. the only thing that I have not swaped is the power supply.
chuck

I have an Athlon 600 classic on the same mobo as a client comp in my LAN. First question, are you getting any beeps? Second question is, are you using an AGP card. I have a Voodoo 3 2000 AGP on that board, if you are getting beeps(a bunch in a row, almost sounds like one long one), your video card isn't seated right. You REALLY have to push that thing in HARD!!! I had to push so hard I though i was going to snap the mobo. I hope this helps some

Fiz

Fiz,
Thank you very much for your post. I get no beeps at all. It is driving me insane. It is an AGP. I have taken every thing off one at a time and then taken the mother board out of the case to see if I was getting a short or something like that. No go! I am ready to just go buy all new stuff and start over. I would love to get this running though since it is only 6 months old.
chuck

Just a thought, have you tried a different proc in there? You may have a dead one if there are no beeps. If I think of anything else i'll post.

Fiz

Yep I put my 500 and that did not help. This is a really dumb question but no has been able to answer it. I know that the bios checks every thing during the post and when it finds something wrong that is when you get the beeps. But do the beeps come from the processor? Example: If the processor is bad would you get any beeps? What would cause no beeps at all? Even though the fan, the nic, the power lights are all active?
Chuck

Usually if there is no proc dtected you will get no beeps. Only if the proc is ok and something else is messed up. Perhaps the slot on the board is bad. If the fans and stuff are starting up I dont think the PSU is bad. The only other thing I could think of is take out the CMOS battery and wait 5 min, then put it back in, sometimes that will do it.

Fiz

Realy? I have never heard of that. I will give that a shot. I will try to post what I find here. Got to go to work in the morinin. It may not be till the weekend till I can post my findings.
Thanks again,
chuck

Would71 (Jun 26, 2001 12:02 a.m.):
Take the battery out, short the clear CMOS jumper, and let it sit for a couple days.. that seems to be my latest wonder-cure for cranky mobos. :D

Ok I tried this and it didn't work. thanks for your help. I think that I am going to just try and bulid a new system.
Chuck

for one, maybe the RAM is flaky?

also, does the hard drive initialize? any or at all?
i wonder if you have tried a different vid card?

with only your vid card and ram, no drives or other cards...
will it fire up to POST? if not...
can you get a totally different vid card and ram, and try to POST?

if you saw failures at random, then it just quit, i'd suspect the mobo.
especially if it isn't beeping. could something have messed the bios?
were you O/C'ing? did you change any settings before it quit booting?
when removing the battery, sometimes you must wait awhile... leave it out overnight.
the cpu's should be fine, you can check against death.......
remove the fan, pwr on, and see if hsk gets warm, then shut down.
if no heat... it's dust. you should know right away.

make sure all the cables are secure, the RAM and Vid seated!!!
if all else fails... you had your eye on a new board anyhow, right?
:) good luck dude!

look at the motherboard and see if the LED lights up when the psu is on
if not than you got a burned mother board

also, did u plug the pc(internal) speakers into the mother board?

Back