• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Update Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

powerme

I install this "Recommended Update for Windows XP SP1 (KB822603)" over 100 times

and MS still tells me i don't have it installed in my computer.

anybody has similiar problem ???

this thread was here before but i decide to post it again so that somebody hopefully will have a solution

many thanks

Try renaming the CatRoot2 folder, located in the %systemroot%\System32 directory, to something like CatRoot2old. Reboot your system and try downloading/installing the patch again.

Note that this is the CatRoot2 folder, NOT the CatRoot folder.

If that fails, try this...Start | Run | Type: regsvr32 wintrust.dll and click OK, then try again. If that doesn't resolve it, try the following...from the Run dialog (enter each of the following commands separately):

net start cryptsvc
regsvr32 softpub.dll /s
regsvr32 initpki.dll /s
regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s
regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s
:)

Last edited:
i cant even update anymore.....i go to the webpage, click scan for updates....then i get windows update error...everytime....i dont know what the hell is up with win update.

try the windows update troubleshooter....i just used it and fixed my prob....apparently there was no default language set in IE...

try the troubleshooter...it should work for you.

i tried all suggestions in this thread and still have "Recommended Update for Windows XP SP1 (KB822603)" PROBLEM

another solution ????

thanks

Try uninstalling the update using "Add or Remove Programs"...listed as "Windows XP Hotfix - KB822603". After uninstalling the update and rebooting, retry the above steps again (starting with renaming the CatRoot2 folder). :)

redduc900 said:
Try uninstalling the update using "Add or Remove Programs"...listed as "Windows XP Hotfix - KB822603".

it doesn't show in "add/remove program"....i am still where i am at

Does it show up under the following Key in the Registry?...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Uninstall

Expand the above branch and look for the KB822603 subkey in the tree view. I exported that particular subkey, and this is the output...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB822603]
"DisplayName"="Windows XP Hotfix - KB822603"
"UninstallString"="C:\\WINDOWS\\$NtUninstallKB822603$\\spuninst\\spuninst.exe"
"TSAware"=dword:00000001
"NoModify"=dword:00000001
"Publisher"="Microsoft Corporation"
"NoRepair"=dword:00000001
"HelpLink"="http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=822603"
"DisplayVersion"="20030703.195209"

Last edited:
redduc900 said:
Does it show up under the following Key in the Registry?...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Uninstall

Expand the above branch and look for the KB822603 subkey in the tree view. I exported that particular subkey, and this is the output...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB822603]
"DisplayName"="Windows XP Hotfix - KB822603"
"UninstallString"="C:\\WINDOWS\\$NtUninstallKB822603$\\spuninst\\spuninst.exe"
"TSAware"=dword:00000001
"NoModify"=dword:00000001
"Publisher"="Microsoft Corporation"
"NoRepair"=dword:00000001
"HelpLink"="http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=822603"
"DisplayVersion"="20030703.195209"

Ive always wondered how you know all this registry stuff? Its quite impressive :D

redduc900,

i notice you use a lot of registry for computer solution. "registry man" ????:D :D

i still am where i am at...:mad: :mad:

if i can't fix it, i just simply ignore this one and move on

same happens to me except I have downloaded about 15 patches a 100 times contacted MS which replyed with this guide which was messed up (the text looked like symbols) I could just make it out

and at he end it didn't work

Back