• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Clawhammer with QDR-Ram support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AtomicGuY

It's official, QDR-Ram support for AMD's first true 64-bit Desktop processor line. Thats means that the system will now have 64-bit right through the whole board and also having access to UItra fast 133MHz QDR (533MHz effective). Having said that, QDR-Ram ram will be built on .11Micron techonology and the PCB pin grid will be cut down by 40% making it much smaller than current DDR-Ram PCB.

At first, ram densitys will be avail at 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, and 2GB.
AMD's Clawhammer chipset is supposed to support up to 16GB of QDR-Ram (4GB dimm x 4), feature true USB2X technology, full 1394 support and up to 6 64-bit PCI slots. And this chipset will also add Intel's latest version to AGP stepping, 8X AGP (2GB per second). Nvidia's NV30 will take advantage of NV30 according to there roadmap and time of release.

The AMD Clawhammer is slated for Q4 2002, but may be pushed back due to the lack of demand met by QDR manufacturers. Currently, only Cypress, IDT, Micron, NEC and Samsung are producing theses QDR samples.

About AMD Clawhammer:
AMD's Clawhammer is produced on a .13micron fab and will be Available at 2.13GHz, and 2.40GHz. The Clawhammer will support a 133MHz Quad Pumped (533MHz) front side bus. Claw hammer will also have full QDR support running at 64-bit bringing total bandwidth to 4.2GBytes per second.

About QDR Memory:
QDR Memory is the latest in memory technology and is available in speeds from 100MHz all the way up to 333MHz. You can find out more on this latest technology over at the official http://www.QDRSRAM.com website.

Yer you will.
I seem to remember reading that there will be a windows XP 64 or summat like that.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...!

Im typing with oone hhand nnow

what a second isnt this the guy who made up all that stuff about a overclocked tbird @1.84Ghz with just air cooling and using a dragon orb. When half the stuff that he said he had didnt exist yet and the other half wasnt possible. Yea i remember this guy. So tell me where did you find out this info. Can i have an url?

I have a "?" about teh 64 bit PCI slots
since they are 64 bit then you couldnt use any 32 bit cards right?
Also if teh whole sys is 64 bit then You couldnt use 32 bits ofeware right unless windows XP is back compat.

Angry (Jun 30, 2001 10:16 a.m.):
I have a "?" about teh 64 bit PCI slots
since they are 64 bit then you couldnt use any 32 bit cards right?
Also if teh whole sys is 64 bit then You couldnt use 32 bits ofeware right unless windows XP is back compat.

Isnt Windows 2k Server or Enterprise supposed to handle 64bit? Im assuming the XP server will obviously. And well, if Nvidia is going to start pumping out heavy duty mobos and everyone starting the upgrade to 64bit, I think its somewhat safe to assume PCIs are going to start making the transition, and I would assume 64 would be backwards compatible for us Copper Age people. :)

Nice, i love futuristic talk. Wish you had mentioned the fact that ClawHammers default clock frequency ranges up from 2Ghz.

OMG, If I had a 64bit 2Ghz processor I would actually beable to simulate nuclear phsyics in real time LOLOLOLOL!

I cant wait for clawhammer. The thing that makes me laugh is that they are redifining the assembler of modern computers by adding things like 8 extra general purpose registers. I've programmed in assembler, and there are not enough gprs.

If compiler producers such as VC++ and Delphi rewrite their compilers to utilise these extra gprs, you will see increases of like 100-200% This means that there might not be a need for such a high clock speed and new games at that time being produced could actually be ran at full settings and still have 300fps. I think when that happens there will be a big jump in the technological advancement of games and applications. I think this because producers will see that their product still runs fast with their high settings and will up the processor utilisation for more effects etc.

jezz I gota get a bigger keyboard Ok restateing my "?"
If you have 64 bit PCI slots then you couldnt use cards that were made for 32 bit could you?

I have a 64-bit PCI slot on one of my older server boards and it is backwards compatible. Just think of it as the old isa slots. Remember the shorter ones and then there were longer ones and then there were ones with the local bus hookup!
It's kinda like that. If the card (doesnt) use the second slot on the PCI slot, its 32-bit.

Back