• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modding an old 386 case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pvc_and_frost

now that i finally got dremelability, i am modding an old ( older than me) intel 386sx steel case. ill post pics later today
but to get mirror finish all i have to do is start with a low grit sandpaper and just keep upping the grit till say 2000 grit or so, right?

Before you get to carried away with sanding check to make sure the motherboard your going to use will fit to your satisfaction. I just dissembled a socket 7 system to use the case but decided against using as the slots didn't line up with the slots in the case. I know I could have Mod the case further but I didn't want to invest that much time in it.

it'll be a tight squeeze, but it will fit with alot of cutting an reorganizing. the case is really quite big. promised pics coming soon!

Cool, i'm beyond interested. Had a friend bring me by an old 386 just last night, the thing is about 25 inches tall. Absolutely huge. It's a little bigger than my aopen h700b full tower. I'm thinking of modding it to hold my kt333 server system. Right now that is housed in a small mid tower. I will switch it to the large 386 case and add some watercooling, but i think i will have to make a custom back panel, the slots don't line up, and the psu in that old 386 is wicked huge.

J.

ive hit a little snag, out of sand paper........well, ive got some 100 grit, but that just wont do. will be getting more sand paper on monday. Pics will be coming eventually, camera is having an attitude problem.

c'mon man i want some picsssss. I plan on starting mine in the next couple days. i have the frame stripped down allready. Just need to take the jigsaw to it and cut out the parts i don't want/need. I'd like to get some comparisons goin in this thread if it's cool with you, cuz i'm not quite sure what i'm doing with this thing yet. Maybe we can get some ideas from each other. Mine is like 24" tall. I'll post some pics later if it's cool to do so in your thread.

J.

Back