• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Powmem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slickone

Registered
I need some PC100 for an old system (Abit BH6). Someone has some with NEC chips on a Powmem PCB. Is this reliable memory? I read a review of Samsung/Powmem that rated them very good.

Powmem is the product of a memory module maker/computer parts distributor named Wintec. They have branches in Fremont, CA, and recently opened one in Atlanta. They make good ram, I have used thousands upon thousands of their sticks. In the SDR days it was as good as you could get, but is manufactured with all chips. I used the Siemens (later re-named to Infineon) chips with great success for years. I prefer them to all SDR SDRAM chips, and to be honest the NECs are the most problematic. Your likelyhood of problems is great with this ram, because of the NEC chips rather than who made the module. But in the end you never know a given stick will work in a given machine until you try it.

Well the seller guarantees it to work in my machine or refund, but I was just referring to possible errors, etc. And how well it would handle a slight overclock.

Slickone said:
Well the seller guarantees it to work in my machine or refund, but I was just referring to possible errors, etc. And how well it would handle a slight overclock.

larva said:
... to be honest the NECs are the most problematic. Your likelyhood of problems is great with this ram ...

Yeah, PowMem makes good stuff! I still have my PC133 stuff with 7 ns Infineon chips. They can do 150, 2-2-2-5 with two 256 MB sticks. Alone they can do 155, 2-2-2-5, as good as it gets with SDRAM.

What's interesting about my sticks is they are made in the USA; very rare for ram, even in those days.

These sticks are every bit as good as the highly touted (and expensive ) Mushkin Level II.

But as said above, the ones w/ NEC chips aren't good.

Gnufsh, many PC133 won't work with a BH6 (440BX).

PC133 is just as likely to work with a BX board as PC100, unless you get something crappy like NEC chips. BX is actually very accomodating, but you can always run into a memory compatibility issue no matter how likely or unlikely things are to work.

Wait... the only reason it shouldn't work is if the module density is unsupported, right? I run some PC100 in a 440LX board without any problems (FSB=66MHz). I've run PC133 at 100MHz in my K7S5A.

Back