• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Classic Athlon and How to tell Axia chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wildfire

Hi

I've got an old Athlon Classic 550 and was wondering how do I overclock it. It's got a FIC SD11 Mainboard which I know is a bit dodgy but I'd still like to have a go.

Also how do I tell if a CPU is an Axia one?

I was thinking of ordering a 1.2 Ghz TBird this week, anybody know the chances of getting one?? I'm in England.

Wildfire

most likely you will get a AXIA
on your chip there will be a little rectangular box which has numbers on it on the 2nd line there will be AXIA if it is AXIA

Alot of ppl like to up nthe FSB to OC their chip you get better preformance that way.There is a beginners guide on the home page that should be able to answer most of the basic questions, To tell what code or stepping your chip is you can look at the core, the first few letters on the second line will tell you ,but I dont think you will find an axia stepping on a athlon classic but from what I hear your chances of getting one on a new chip are good.

Ummm not to point out the obvious here ... but you do realize of course that the TBird will not work in your slot board?
Your chances of getting an AXIA or better are pretty good ... don't know about in the UK. I recently went to a local shop here in the US and all the 1.2 were AXIA's with a couple of newer codes thrown in. In order to identify the code on the TBird ... look at the die on the center of the chip ... the second line of numbers on the chip will start with letters those first 4 or 5 letters identify the chip version.

Hope this helps

Wildfire (Jul 11, 2001 01:30 p.m.):
Hi

I've got an old Athlon Classic 550 and was wondering how do I overclock it. It's got a FIC SD11 Mainboard which I know is a bit dodgy but I'd still like to have a go.

Also how do I tell if a CPU is an Axia one?

I was thinking of ordering a 1.2 Ghz TBird this week, anybody know the chances of getting one?? I'm in England.

Wildfire

Good old slot-A athlon can be OC'ed simply by raising the FSB. You can also adjust the multiplyer, but you will have to remove the case of your athlon and plug a Gold Finger Device to the 40-pinned connector on the top of your CPU. GFD's are for sale on internet and in overclockers stores. I would love to give you some links about it, but I lost them all in my recent HD crash (and I don't even run oc'ed FSB :( ). If you're really eager for them, I will have a look for you. I adjusted the multiplyer of my slot-500 from 5 to 8. Voltage up from 1,6 to 1.8V voila! needed watercooling to run stable. Runs from february on now on this speed!

Hi Thanks for that. I'm not actually sure I can up the FSB on the SD11 Motherboard, but I'll have a look anyway.

The other thing is, yep I know the TBird won't work in my Slot A motherboard, I have a 850mhz TBird @ 1Ghzon an Abit KT7A motherboard, so the new procewssor's for that.

Thanks everybody

Look for a GFD at e-bay, I got mine for 25 german Marks, which is about 12 $. You can always try to overclock your FSB at first, but most people aren´t too succesfull with that. I myself was quite successful with it, as ýou can see from my sig. So have a try. Normally the Fsb won´t go higher as 105 or 110 Mhz on Classic Athlons, but perhaps you are as lucky as I was ;)

So With the GFD it's quite easy to OC?? I'm going to look on e-bay for some stuff.

The only problem about GFD´s is, that you´ll have to crack the CPU case open to attach it. But there´s an easy guide somewhere on this site, and it is not as difficult as it looks, just be careful an don´t force anything

You need a GFD the most you'll probably hit is ~700MHz....

Slot A T-Birds will work in your board since it's based on the older AMD "Irongate" 750 Chipset... Although they don't go over 1GHz (stock speed)...

Back