• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big upgrade with same hard drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agistrar

Okay, so I'm just about to do a big upgrade to new computer, which I am building myself. My question is, is there a way I can just pull the hard drive from my old computer and install it in the new one? What kind of things would I have to watch out for? I assume there's going to be some issues, since the OS would suddenly be exposed to entirely new hardware. Any suggestions, including, "It's a huge hassle, don't bother, just get a new HDD" are welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:
You might be able to just install the HDD in the new system. If you want to try it, you will probably have to use the F8 option when windows boots and boot in safe mode. Then you will also probably have to reregister windows.

It would be easier to format and reinstall for sure. You dont need to buy a new HDD.

no need to buy another, especially if you have a spare drive that has all the install info on it, if the system is the same type, like via chipset and all it will be no prob, if it isnt and there are different m/b drivers you may need to reinstall.

Thats what I was trying to say. Thanks. If its the same chipset, it might not be any problem at all. If it is different or has a problem, try booting in safe mode. I have had this work a few times when it didnt just change over.

In theory you don't need to reinstall windows, just repair it. However, I've had better luck coping everything to a second drive (eg. ghost) and then installing windows on a fresh HD.

NT based systems don't like it when the MB changes :)

Okay, thanks everyone. I'll probably just format and re-install, as my new mobo has a different chipset. I appreciate the quick answers.

Back