• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 questions about the Iwill kk266-r

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strafer

Registered
Hi folks, just now switching over from Intel. I just received my new AXIAR 1.2ghz T-bird 266 and an Iwill kk266R yesterday. After slapping it together last night, I have 3 initial disappointments:

1) I'm not using RAID right now, so I understood one could use the 4 onboard IDE/RAID connectors to hook up 8 IDE devices (providing the IDE jumper is selected). But when I connected my 2 harddrives to the yellow RAID connectors they were not recognized in the bios. Had to move them over the blue IDE connectors. Sort of a waste if I choose not to use RAID at this time. Any thoughts?

2) Onboard sound. I've read where some say that the C-media 4.1 onboard sounds very close the SB live series. Well, after trying it out...not even close. Compared to my Sblive value the Cmedia sounds like the sound source is coming deep from within my shoe - very muffled. Another waste Am I missing something here?

3) Lastly, I really liked the bios features of my last Abit and Asus BX boards which allowed the computer to be powered on by a keyboard press or mouse click. I do not seem to be able to locate these features in the bios or manual. Does the Iwill not do this? I thought this was a fairly common standard feature these days.

Thanks for any input.

1. click on kk266r on my sig
2. click on kk266r on my sig
3. yeah it is in the bios it has those options look at power on/off stuff.

Thanks for the input el, but I'm not sure that it entirely helped. I already had that site bookmarked and the drivers for the Cmedia haven't improved the sound quality of the board. I haven't fully looked into the IDE part yet, so there still may be something I missed regarding that. Lastly, I have yet to find anything in the bios regarding on/off powerup by keyboard or mouse. I'm using the bios version that came with the board. Do I need to flash to a newer version to get that feature. Someone, please assist - I may send it back and get an Abit KT7A.

Be happy what you have...

Strafer (Jul 12, 2001 12:36 p.m.):
Hi folks, just now switching over from Intel. I just received my new AXIAR 1.2ghz T-bird 266 and an Iwill kk266R yesterday. After slapping it together last night, I have 3 initial disappointments:

1) I'm not using RAID right now, so I understood one could use the 4 onboard IDE/RAID connectors to hook up 8 IDE devices (providing the IDE jumper is selected). But when I connected my 2 harddrives to the yellow RAID connectors they were not recognized in the bios. Had to move them over the blue IDE connectors. Sort of a waste if I choose not to use RAID at this time. Any thoughts?

2) Onboard sound. I've read where some say that the C-media 4.1 onboard sounds very close the SB live series. Well, after trying it out...not even close. Compared to my Sblive value the Cmedia sounds like the sound source is coming deep from within my shoe - very muffled. Another waste Am I missing something here?

3) Lastly, I really liked the bios features of my last Abit and Asus BX boards which allowed the computer to be powered on by a keyboard press or mouse click. I do not seem to be able to locate these features in the bios or manual. Does the Iwill not do this? I thought this was a fairly common standard feature these days.

Thanks for any input.

Back