• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possable to fix a laptop LCD screen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Erland

Registered
I have a IBM Thinkpad T23 and my room mate knocked it off the coffee table and it hit the floor now the backlight doesn't come on.

In the dark you can still see windows boot...Never very well BUT you can see it boot I now have it hooked up to a moniter with the LCD on the table unhooked from it and the laptop works.

I believe that the back light blew out when it hit the floor, so my question is can the back light be replaced? is it really hard because I do have access to my step dad who is a whiz when it comes to soldering if needed. What parts whould I need to fix it and where would I get them?

Oh, and anything else you might find useful for me. Maybe where to buy a replacement Screen if needed, other that E-Bay(auctions).

Thank You for all your input on my situation.

I know IBM will fix them, but it will probably be at least a few hundred dollars for that.

You *could* probably replace it (assuming you just blew out the light and didn't damage a PCB or something like that), but the problem is obtaining a new fixture for it. I don't know where you'd get one other than IBM (unless someone cannibalized one from another laptop of similar make, or they somehow acquired parts from IBM on the cheap). I doubt you'll find anything other than on ebay or direct from IBM.

I put my laptop back together and started messing with the LCD and finally got it to work again. Had to solder a line back on from the connection on the PCB side of the backlight where the cable connects.

Many times you can find laptop parts on eBay. Should it go bad just look for the part (in this case "screen assembly+IBM T23") or for dead laptops that also use like parts, you will save big and could have extra part to boot. I have rebuilt a few this way.

PS Erland check your sig it's to big

How's that for my sig.....

the lowest price I could find on any auction site was $285 a little too pricy for me....

Back