• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with wirless Networking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Erland

Registered
Me and my friend who lives next door both have a DI-514 wireless router is it possable to hook them up to our already exisitng networks to connect the 2 networks?

Or do one of us have to go and get an access point.?

One of you would have to get a "wireless bridge". It would convert from wireless to wired. (you would use a wireless router on one side, and a wireless bridge on the other, wired to the router's switch.) And that would do it.

There are other ways, like using XP bridging to bridge the wireless & wired on one side (do the same thing as the wireless bridge would do).

If the connection is strong enough you could possibly connect to his wirless network, and then bridge the connections using either WinXP or 2003. Then that computer would act similiar what SU ROOT described, but for free.

Just a warning: I have heard of lots of problems using XP Bridging between wireless and wired... do a forums search if you are going to persue that option, and see what problems others have had

Update !
So Far....

I found that if I hook up an ethernet cable from my existing router to one on the new wireless routers LAN ports (Not the WAN port) and turn off DHCP on the wireless router that any computer connected to either Router will be on my newtork and is sharing my internet.....

Now If I can just get it to talk to the other router....Any help appriciated.

Thanx in advance...

Reply to your advice

I wrote the top part before looking at your reply so.....

I am having no problem putting the wireless router onto the existing networks. The problem I am now having is getting both routers to see each other...

What I get from your replys.....

Hook up one computer with 2 wirless nic's one accessing each router (one on my w/less router, one on his w/less router..)...then bridge the connections? (is that what that option is for? :) )

Would the SSID and Channel be the same on, each router? , each card?

Update!

I just found out that you can setup DHCP on both routers (w/less and wired) if you have the range that they assign is different ie.. wired range: 21 - 50, w/less range: 51 - 100

For some reason though all hard wired comps will be issued an IP from the wired router. I figured that whatever router they plugged into assigned the IP to it. That way you can tell what router they are connected to depending on the IP. (but that so far not the case...maybe if we get both w/less to connect then I will be able to tell....

The best way that I've heard of is to use static IPs. Set one router to be 192.168.0.1, and the other to be .2, and then turn off DHCP, and manually set all the rest, using the Gateway Address as the router that you want that computer to use.

We haven't even started to worry about security... Right now we just want them to connect....

Does an Access point have to be plugged into the wireless router? Or can I plug a switch into the access point and place the access point at his house?

Me:
Cable -> 8 Port Router -> 5 Computers & 4 port wireless router

Him:

Cable -> 2 Port Router -> 5 port Switch -> 3 Computers & Access point

Will this work or do I need to change his access point to a Wireless bridge?

Back