• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mullvad VPN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

habbajabba

I permanently switched to Mullvad VPN from ProtonVPN today.
3 reasons:
Completely open source code
Wireguard protocol support
and the kicker was the linux client GUI
Proton just recently made their split-tunneling option useable but still have no linux gui. I tried updating to their beta "client" but all their commands were specific to an ubuntu based debian distro so that was a failed nightmare. whatev
The ONLY thing I had to do to get mullvad to work was boot MX in systemd mode. Mx makes that easy as a simple boot option. Once I did that the MullvadVPN-2020.8-beta2_amd64.deb worked perfect. It will run at boot automatically AND run minimized complete with tray icon. No more terminal window BS command line nonsense. I can delete my clipboard entries TG.
For ~$5.50/month regardless of how many months it's also feasible.
I noticed that not only do pages load faster but annoying prompts like "are you human?" like I would get with newegg don't happen any more on both my phone and desktop.
I still have a few months left with proton but just not having to type every time I want to connect to a specific IP is worth it. Obviously I could connect to the same ip every boot and make that a gnome network gui option but proton does maintenance and sometimes the ip's are at 100%. Sometimes you want to be somewhere else for whatever reason. Logging in to the exact same ip at every boot is just not practical. At least not with proton's terminal client. Adding all the servers to your router does nothing as well because then you literally have to login to your router and then switch when you actually wanted to do so.
Proton also added trackers and ad blocking support as well for android only whereas mullvad requests you use ublock origin. works for me. Unbelievable they have no linux gui but still I knew wireguard would actually work better than ikev2 or openvpn. Speeds don't change it's the way everything just seems faster.
Anyways, could have put this in the 'other os' section but it's more a networking thang.

I would like to add when you get protonvpn you have to copy and remember one email, your username, plus 4 passwords (2 are for their linux term. client nonsense). With mullvad you just install the thing on any smartphone and it will generate a 16 digit code you then put into any other instance once you've activated it by paying them, also quick and simple. 8 devices, one code, no logins of any kind required (obviously they would have a payment rcpt but who doesn't). Super simple. Their gui works better than proton's as well. It just seems more stabile and robust. Proton has their 'secure core' feature but I noticed on my phone it would always require me to manually remember to click it or it would never come on. Very annoying as I saved profiles that were using the secure core but if I clicked on them the gui still showed a non-secure setting.
If somehow someone had access to both your payment rcpt AND your code then all bet's are off. Thankfully wireguard works in such a way that that's impossible.

Last edited:
I use ExpressVPN @ over $100 per year.
It also has no Linux GUI. It is also twice the cost of Mulvad VPN.
I am looking into it right now as I have recently switched to Linux permanently and ExpressVPN, although I have no complaints about the service,it is twice as costly and the terminal thing bugs me also. I mean how much money to program a simple GUI like they have in Windows? Linux users are 3rd class citizens in all ways for most developers.

Mulvad it is.

Back